Speakers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CompiledMonkey, Jan 5, 2002.

1. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I have a set of home theater speakers that randomly but on and off while playing a DVD or watching TV or whatever. All of the connects are plugged up fine and are not loose whatsoever. Any ideas on what could be causing the sound to go away every so often?

2. You sure it's not just your sub-woofer going in and out of phase?

3. CompiledMonkey

The entire tower will go out every so often. You can tell this is so because I'll move the balance to that side and nothing is coming out. Most of the time if I cut the volume up quickly it will come back. It's an odd situation. :bigthumb:

4. CompiledMonkey

It's all the speakers within one of the towers (2 towers, each with 3 speakers). Both towers can go at any time. But when one tower goes, all of the speakers within that tower go out.

5. Check your internal wiring inside the tower. I used to have a sub that would turn off and on due to a loose connection with the voice coil. Was very annoying to fix but once fixed...all good.

6. CompiledMonkey

Good idea. I'll see if I can get in there easily. Thanks :bigthumb:

7. Also just to make sure your source is fine change the towers around eg plug left tower to the right output of your amp etc just to make sure its not a problem with your amplifier or source. Goodluck

8. Maybe your amp/reciever is over heating? Or it's an early sign that it's about to die.

9. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

Maybe the amp/receiver is clipping. Too much volume, too much load, so the amp clips. No sound. I don't know the technical details of what actually happens but from what you described sounds like you're demanding a little too much out of your receiver/amp.

10. With clipping though you will be able to hear distortion and therefore that may be telling you the amp is clipping. Clipping as i mentioned in another post is when the sine wave of the signal can not be properly sent to the speaker and instead a sort of chopped sine wave...looking more like square type shapes is sent to the voice coils in your speakers. End result- your voice coils overheat and your speaker dies. If in doubt try playing your amp at around half volume if it still has the same problem it is not clipping at least, it may be your amp but use a different speaker as well to test whether it is your tower...good luck once more :)