Speaker Wiring...Best Way is...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NevaTrustWhitey, May 23, 2003.

1. NevaTrustWhitey

NevaTrustWhitey New Member

Alright, I will start off by saying i know a good amount about audio but im not into all the tech. stuff i should be. All i care about is that music sounds good and clear when i push the limits of my system.

I was wondering if anyone here has wired their home setup with cat 5 cable. If it is good enough to connect millions of computers together, isn't it good enough to use for a home setup? Since there are 8 wires in cat 5, im guessing you can use 1 wire to hook up 4 surround speakers. I know they are using cat 5 in a local radio studio here in dallas and they use it to get feeds from other stations in the same building. Has anyone tried this, or can see a reason why it wouldnt work?

2. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

the wire gauge its self isnt big enough..

3. 04

04 Guest

Ive actually done that. I mean, LOUDSYSTEM says their isnt enough copper, but unless you are running really long lengths it shouldnt matter :p

4 24awg should be somewhere around 18awg which should be ok. I personally would just run normal speaker wire though...

4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

:werd: you'd have to run like 100 feet for it to have signal loss, but i too recommend using regular speaker wire. i've used telephone wire before, to make my own rca's.

5. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

umm bitches read what he wrote

im guessing you can use 1 wire to hook up 4 surround speakers

he wants to use ONE SINGLE LINE FOR FOUR SPEAKERS.. :o so my statement > yours :fawk: if he used one cable per speaker yes thats fine but not one cable for four speakers :o :o :o read my loves read

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

it appears that since he knows there are 8 wires, and knows that 8 wires plus 4 speakers = win.

7. 04

04 Guest