Speaker wire length vs quality

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Alerin, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Alerin

Alerin Ruiner

This is for my 2001 Dakota QuadCab

I was thinking about mounting a sheet of MDF to the back wall of my cab (behind the rear seats) and mounting the crossovers for my front and rear doors, power distribution block, 4 channel amp, subwoofer amp and a 4 channel equalizer. Would my front door lines be excessively long coming from the back of the cab, or would they be alright if I used a quality speaker wire combined with a good equalizer/signal processor/line driver? Here's the signal processor I'm looking at:
    http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_Id=14149&d_Id=5250&l1=5250&l2=

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i think that unless you're in SQ comp, or just that picky of an audiophile, eq's are outdated. also, if you're using a head unit with front, rear, and sub outputs, then it's going to have at least 2v RMS on the RCA line, which is plenty for almost every run of the mill amplifier today. The input sensitivity (gain) on quality amps is adjustable, and most of them will have some sort of crossover built in. It's not as exact as the 3.1, but you can fine tune close enough with your ears that the 3.1 just becomes another source for noise entry. Remember, the more electronics, the better possibility for noise to be introduced, especially if you're going to be running a consistant 4V+ output. Also, with that much Voltage coming out of the 3.1, you won't have much room for gain adjustment on your amps. Maybe an 1/8th of a turn so to speak. I'd forego that piece and invest in something else, maybe an alarm/remote start, red top battery, etc.

3. Alerin

Alerin Ruiner

Alright, good information about the three.1. I think I may just invest in a cheaper alternative so that I can run my inputs to my backboard and distribute it to the amps from there in a neat fashion.

How about those wire runs from the crossovers?

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

The wire runs are fine.

I agree about the EQ. The only place I seem outboard EQs being of real value is when running a full active setup (ie a dedicated amp channel for both mid and tweet). With that setup the EQ is used to smooth the response curve since electronic xovers only provide standard slopes. And then you would use a 30 band to get enough frequency resolution.