Speaker Flutter/Distortion/Fuzzyness Help!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Ok so this is my problem:

I own a pair of paradigm Studio 20 v.3s and am using them in a 2-channel audio set up for my computer, well one day my left speaker stops working, so I take it apart and soon realize the when i adjust the disconnect it stops working, so i adjust the disconnect with a wire crimper, problem solved.

Problem returns two days later and on trying to adjust the disconnect the disconnect becomes to altered to really function anymore, so i replace the speaker with a temporary sony.

I get a box of new disconnects and renew the disconnect with a new one (i didnt do it myself but its all the same) well i notice at certain frequencies i get this fuzzyness in my bass, sometimes its there, sometimes its not, it also seems to vary at different volume levels, or maybe the sound is just covering up its own problem, oh well, but yeah, do you think I just need better disconnects? Should I try soddering the damn wires in place on the terminals? Should I take my speaker somewhere? Its not something urgent, just something kind of annoying, like an itch you cant reach on your body.

2. 04

04 Guest

It's possible that the disconnects simply arent doing a good job. I'd probably solder the connections. Be careful though, and dont get the connections too hot, or you can damage the speaker.

Its also possible that the fuzzyness is caused by something rattling, and not just the poor connection.

3. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

disconnects? :confused:

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i checked for things rattling, it seems the sound is coming from the speaker itself, i even made sure all the screws were tight on the enclosure.

i will probably just live with it for now then eventually solder.