Speaker Covers...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by NightyNight, Jul 11, 2006.

1. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

What's the best solution for cleaning these? I have no idea how to remove mine, so it still sits on the speaker, but it's really really dirty.
    I have an Acura Coupe (92 Legend) and the speaker's are like right next to the people's shoes, so when you get out, it's hard not to scuff your shoe on the speaker cover. It's supposed to be tan..looks black.

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I usually just spray some of my carpet cleaner solution on a rag, and rub the speaker covers with it. I've found that a spot/stain remover (pre-spotter) like Folex does wonders in most cases.

3. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Spray it with window cleaner then spray it with an air gun (compressed air @ 90 psi). That will clean into the slits where a rag won't reach.

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

A couple of pointers on this.

1: If there is Amonia in the glass cleaner, be especially careful, as amonia can emulsify some adhesive compounds. Including, but not limited to, the glue that hold the center dust cup, the surround, or the actual paper cone laminate itself.

2: Do not blow air directly onto the speaker, but rather at an angle. Direct shots of compressed air to the speaker, can potentially damage the diaphram and surround. Especially if you have sprayed liquid (even water) onto the speaker.

I have found the best way to get speaker grills clean, is to spray a little APC onto a toothbrush, and go at teh grill that way. In so that the chances of fluid coming in contact with the speaker itself is minimal. And the ability to get into the small holes, cracks, and other areas is maximized.

Then i like to take a long, horse hair bristled vacume attatchment, and lightly vacume the grill out. The reason for the long bristles, is that it can reach throughthe grill, and dislodge particulate, but wont get the head of the vacume close enough to cause a suction, which can again, damage the speaker diaphram, voice coil, spider, or surround, but forcing it beyond its excursion point.

5. XPX

XPX New Member

try rotating it first, counter clockwise (if its round)

6. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

It's some oblong shape, not round, I think you have to take the door out for it to come off.

7. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

So you guys think a toothbrush and some Simple Green?

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

That should work fine.

9. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Yeah, what he said.

I had the same problem with my Accord. Small brush and Woolite/water worked for me. You just can't brush hard.

10. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

I know an old thread, but a little update.
    Driver and Passenger speakers, both were the same color, a little side by side, after a 6.5:1 diluted woolite solution.

[​IMG]

After Woolite

[​IMG]

Also, what do you guys do to remove the woolite? Vacuum? I used a terry cloth and just wiped it off... :dunno:

11. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

Also, what else can you use Woolite for? This shit's the bomb. If I wre to clean carpet with it, what would I need to do? Spray it on, scrub it in, vacuum it out?

12. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Woolite/water is my general purpose cleaner. Seems to work on everything!

13. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Depends on the amount of the area you are doing.

If its a small section, you can certaintly just blot it out with a good absorbant towel.

If your doing a larger area (say over one square foot), then the best solution would be to take a good wet/dry vac with a extracting wand, and suck it out that way.

And if at all possible, after that, start the car, crack the windows slightly, and crank teh heater on full bore to dry it out.

THat also has the added bonus that if you are going to detail teh engine, it gets it nice and warm for you to help losten teh greese.

14. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

I live in Arizona. Drying won't be a problem.:wiggle:

I'll be doing my mats tomorrow, see how they come out.
    Thanks!