Speaker cable different lengths, have u ever noticed this make a difference?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i was just wondering cuz with how my stuff is i generally have different cable lengths, wondering if this even makes a noticeable difference.

2. CARETAKER

CARETAKER KANEDAAAA!!! OT Supporter

Do you mean difference cable lengths for each channel or different cable lengths for components? I wouldn't think it makes a noticable difference (depending on how far your gear is from each other), however it's more about quality than length. Construction of cable (and whether there is active or passive shielding) will be more of a factor than just length. That is, a well shielded cable that runs 10 feet will sound just as nice (relatively) to a regular cable at 3 feet. I wouldn't go longer than necessary though. All my gear runs at shielded one meter lengths, with speaker cable at shielded two meters.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i have my receiver next to my monitor, then the speaker wires go at which is basically an L shape (so they project to the couch instead of my desk, my living room doubles as an office) the right channel speaker gets a longer speaker wire then the left channel does.

I may or may not change this configuration when i get a new receiver.

4. CARETAKER

CARETAKER KANEDAAAA!!! OT Supporter

I wouldn't necessarily worry at this time, unless there is a huge discrepancy in the speaker wire lengths (or if your ears can hear the difference). I would just make sure to make both lengths are the same in the future, and just wind the extra near the closer speaker.