Speaker Amp cut out

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MarshyTheKid, Dec 5, 2009.

1. MarshyTheKid

MarshyTheKid New Member

So I am installing an amp for my speakers.
    I don't have the exact specs of the amp because its discontinued.
    My speakers are these: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=49
    I have a panasonic head unit with 2 preouts, which are now hooked into my amp.
    I have the speaker wires, from the amp, spliced into the speaker wires from my HU.

Here is the problem.
    I had it working, I just had to crank up my HU volume to max in order to get sound from my speakers. So I tried adjusting the gain to get them a bit louder. When I turned one of the gain knobs, I lost all sound. The power light is still on. I don't think I blew a fuse in the amp because I wouldn't expect the power light to still come on.
    Any ideas how I can get sound back and get it louder?

2. MarshyTheKid

MarshyTheKid New Member

So I figured out that its going into safe mode. I unplugged all of my speakers and it stays working for a second, then goes into safe mode. Same with one or two speakers plugged in.
    Could this be a bad ground or what?

3. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw OT Supporter

you disconnected the speaker wires coming from the radio correct? and only have the wires from the amp hooked up to the factory speaker wires..

4. MarshyTheKid

MarshyTheKid New Member

Would that cause it to go into safe mode? I don't want to cut my wires and not have it work.

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

what amp... and am i reading it right... you have both the deck and the amp outputs spliced together???

6. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

You have to cut the wires from the h/u to the speakers. RCA's to amp, speaker wires from amp to speakers only!!!!!!

7. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw OT Supporter

once charged a guy $300 to drive to where he docked his boat cause he was having the same problem.. builder used the low and high level outs from the deck to a kenwood 4 channel lol... quickest fix ever..

8. MarshyTheKid

MarshyTheKid New Member

Heh, yeah, I cut the HU speaker wires and it fixed it. My bad.
    I'm working on getting it louder now. Its not boosting the audio level much. I need to play with the gain and such to see if I can get it better.

9. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw OT Supporter

turn gain down completely, put in some normal music, like rock or something... bring radio volume up til you start to hear a bit of distortion, or reach 3/4" volume up roughly..back the volume down a tad. bring the amp gain up slowly til you start to hear distortion, then back it down slightly..

this way will get you started, you can tweak it from there.