Speaker adapter plates

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by STA, Feb 22, 2003.

1. STA

STA Guest

Right now I have 6x8 and 5x7 speakers in my car and i want to upgrade my mids. I have a big sheet of probably 3/16 aluminum and was wondering if aluminum would be an alright material to make the plates out of?

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i would revomend mdf over aluminum simply becaue alumium will resonate

3. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

:werd: hell I would say any type of wood over aluminum. Not like anyone is going to see them so they dont have to be shiny :)

4. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

Would an aluminum plate backed with a layer of dampening mat work okay? I've been toying with the idea of making my 6x8 -to- 6.5" adapter plates this way.

5. 04

04 Guest

Mdf resonantes too....

But I too would agree that mdf would be the better choice, because it doesnt seem to have as much high frequency resonance. The aluminum will probably ring @ higher frequencies. Then again, the doors are already made out of metal anyways, so you probably shouldnt even worry about these things.

If you have the aluminum just sitting around, and can fabricate it quickly, you might as well use it.

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

ok mdf resonaltes at much lower frequencies then aluminum and it resonates much less but on that smalll of a piec it wont matter likley