MMA Sparring first time this Friday

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by konrad109, Aug 9, 2007.

1. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Been almost 2 months since I joined that boxing gym. Coach wanted me to spar today but he forgot to tell me bring a mouthguard.

My friend and this other guy sparred for the first time today. They both started off against the Chicago Golden Gloves heavyweight champ. The champ was going pretty light but he knocked the other guy down and my friend got hit pretty bad throughout the whole two rounds. He wanted to quit after taking a nasty shot to the temple but coach kept "encouraging" him to keep going. (by this i mean yelling at him not to be a sissy)

I'm not really nervous. I know I'm gonna get my ass kicked but I'm actually looking forward to see if I can manage to stay in there. The GG champ is a nice guy and I'm sure he'll take it semi-easy on me, but hes about 30 pounds heavier so its gonna be interesting. I'm more worried about getting paired up with this young guy who is taller and much faster than me because he's gonna have a little more to prove than the GG guy.

2. damiand

damiand Proceed

Thats really awsome mang, its goign to kick ass once you get in a groove.

3. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

My advice keep focused most people lose focus as soon as they cop a shot.

Keep your hands up and your feet moving.

Im not sure what sort of fighter you are but everytime I get caught and have to defend a bunch of shots I cover up briefly then throw jabs and circle to my right (away from their power hand) most beginners I see just coverup and try to run away.

Also throw combinations and finish them.

4. $lacker

$lacker FD/Dental/Canadian/Cage Crews OT Supporter

They have a pretty shitty way of matching up new guys for sparring
    Is this like an initiation of something?

5. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Yeah I guess its part initiation. But going up against him is better than going against one of the other newer guys IMO because he has much more self control. The reason the other guy got knocked down was because he dropped both his hands way low right as the GG guy threw a cross. It wasnt all that hard it just landed very nicely.

I'm gonna do what 2ofem said. I've sparred before at other gyms (semi-McDojos) and that was pretty much my strategy when I get in trouble. I turtle up pretty good but I just know that I'm gonna forget to circle out once I get hit.

6. auto

auto New Member

That's great, cant wait to hear about your experience. :bigthumb:

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Well it got delayed from Friday to Monday.

I got put in against the GG champ as well. It was very interesting since he had about 40 pounds and 10 years of experience compared to my 2 months of real training.

I have a new found respect for boxers. Everything I learned in shadow boxing and hitting the bag etc somehow didnt apply. I couldn't keep my hands up, my jab was slow, and I had almost no headmovement. For every 1 punch I threw he landed 3, while evading my punch. I landed 2 solid combinations on him that stopped him for a second. In the whole round I don't think I landed more than 6 punches.

But mostly he just slipped my punches or ducked under em and pounded me. Half the time I couldnt see anything cause my head kept bobbing left and right from the hits. I kept my chin down pretty well though and none of the headshots hurt. I think he was kinda surprised cause he looked at the coach and wondered if he should back off but I was never hurt by the shots to the head. It wasn't till the last 30 seconds when he got me against the ropes and unloaded to my body that he really hurt me. He landed an uppercut into my rips that really shook me.

Overall it was fun. I wanna start filming my sparring sessions with him because really its really hard to tell what your body is doing while getting pounded from each and every direction. I THOUGHT i was keeping my hands up but coach said I wasnt.

8. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Nice work you will never be able to hang with a GG boxer first time sparring and it sounded like you did pretty well. The confidence you will get from being hit hard and it not stopping or really hurting you will be huge. I look forward to hearing how you progress.

9. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Today I had a nice sparring session against the GG champ. When coach announced that we'd be sparring I got kinda nervous. I wasn't feeling all that great today from allergies and lack of sleep.

I started pretty well though. I was parrying a lot of his jabs, moving around and avoiding his shots. Then I started throwing my jabs and he started countering me pretty good. He would duck under my jab, step in, throw his own and then start pounding away with hooks to the body and head. I would cover up and circle out but many of his shots would still get through. Nothign that stunned or hurt me though. Of course he wasn't going full power.

Second round starts (4th for him) and now I had some time to think things over (plus he was getting a bit tired since he was sparring fresh guys each time). I came up with a little gameplan. I moved back, then stepped in, faked a jab, which made him duck, then I threw another jab which got him in the forehead, then I threw a right hand right between his gloves hitting him square in the face and I could really feel the impact. I was sooooo pleased with myself.

Now he started going harder though. He pounded the crap outta me with left hooks, and while I wasn't dizzy I staggered because honestly I got scared of his power. I could really feel the impacts, and while it wasn't really gonna knock me out it was kinda scary. :hs: He steppd in and hugged me against the ropes and asked if I was ok. I really appreciated the gesture but now I wanted him off me so I could hit him back. Coach told him to take it easy but now I came back and landed a couple nice jabs and a few more right crosses so he started hitting me good again. In the last 30 seconds he landed a right hand right in my solar plexus as I was stepping in and it dropped me.

After the round he was congratulating me. He said nobody has bloodied him up in a long time now. Coach was saying good job after the first round but I could tell he wasn't happy with me going down after that shot to the body in the second.

One of the main things I'm having a problem with is the range. I have a decent 2 inch reach on this guy, but most of the time he can jab with me pretty easily. A lot of times I find my jab getting stuck between his gloves and his head. I really gotta work on pulling that hand right back. Coach says I reach with it a lot too.

10. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Nice work man sounds like you are going well.

I use the jab as a range finder alot of the time as a 10% punch just a quick in and out. If he is ducking it double up on it and circle away from his power hand or alternatively step in and close the distance that usually takes the sting away from the counters unless he can really rip those hooks from in close (not many can do it but being a GG champ he might be able too).

And yeah id say most of your drama would be over reaching on the jab it opens up alot of counter punches.

11. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I'm definetley gonna try the rangefiner method. So far I've just been trying to plow the jab into his face and its just not working. When I'm working the heavybag he is always telling me to just tap with the jab and bring it right back immediatley instead of tightening up at the end of it. I'm really seeing why this is important now.