Spanning a volume in W2K3

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5Gen_Prelude, Oct 29, 2007.

1. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I've got a directory full of images that I'd like to expand to another drive, but I'm vary wary of doing this because it's essentially RAID-0. I do back this drive up once a month, and the data is really not important - if I lost an image it wouldn't be the end of the world. My question is, if I span it to a 2nd drive and that drive failed, would I be able to recover what was on the original drive or does one drive failure mean the whole spanned volume is toast?

Secondly, if this were critical data, is the "right" way to go to RAID-5 or above at that point? Which would allow more drive space and retain fault tolerance? I've never had a reason to use anything but RAID-1.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can break a failed span and recover the files on each drive separately. Each drive maintains its own table of contents; they're just concatenated together for display and access purposes.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i had no luck with breaking a span. i followed all the directions, but it kept telling me that device was not connected or something. i ended up spending several days with getdataback for ntfs recovering my files