WEB Spam signups

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 4thgenceli, Jan 20, 2009.

1. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

How does everybody combat these? Granted I don't get a zillion a day, but 5-6 every day is annoying. Fortunally they were all coming from the same IP, so I had a lil' fun with them :)

I'm presuming most of you do a captcha to stop this eh?

2. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

depending on the application.
    For most instances spambots dont bother one-off websites as they have to write a script for it.
    If your site is based on popular applications, wordpress, vb, phpbb2 etc, there are scripts out there to build in measures to avoid them.

I had a phpbb2 site that was sitting on an old domain that i was going to develop. It sat for 2 years, unpatched, no security just plain old phpbb2.
    Needless to say it was getting raped by the second from spam bots. My ISP actually sent me a note on the size of the database and resources being used by it LOL.

3. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

if it's a forum, the easiest way is to modify your signup form.

add a text box that is in a hidden div.. if it's filled out, it's spam. reject.

captchas help, but they only slow down the noobs.

4. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

Yeah, this really isn't a public thing, just something to host pictures for myself and friends/family. This chinese ip kept trying to setup accounts over and over, i just ended up IP banning it, and then changing the 'banning' feature so when his IP comes to the site, he gets rickroll'd over and over.

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Fuck.

That's hardcore.

6. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

:werd:
    he doesnt fuck around.

7. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

When I realized the default message was 'You have been banned from using this website', I thought that was ghey. It had to be brutal and annoying, which if he keeps trying 6 logins within 20 seconds, I don't think poor IE can handle all suprises, nor his processor.