SP2 is screwing me

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Nov 9, 2004.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i recently installed SP2 on my laptop that was running a LEGIT version of Windows XP with SP1. after that I couldn't browse. every page would just come up as Page Can Not Be Displayed or one of those errors. tried to simply ping those sites, failed. i turned off all my firewalls, no effect. ive given up on it for now cause its so frustrating, so right now i'm System Restoring. hopefully things go back to normal. altho, if you guys have any idea whats going on or even how to fix it, please do share... id like to try SP2 again...someday...thanks!!!

2. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

can you supply any connection info (network config info, ie: are you even pulling an IP? are running through a router, dial vs. broadband, browser connection settings, etc.)

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You shouldn't have to do a restore. You can simply uninstall SP2.

I have it installed on multiple machines and most of the XP machines at work have been updated too. No a single problem on any of them. Not sure about your problems though.

If you go to the Microsoft knowledge base, they have a good amount of info of XP2 and problems and solutions.

4. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

SP2 will not prevent connectivity, most likely it simple reset your network configs to default, why it would do that who knows, but thats why i asked what your setup was...

agreed.

5. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Are you on a router? Korrupshun has a good suggestion, I had to reset my roommate's network configs when he installed SP2, he couldn't get back onto the wireless network especially since SP2 wiped out the encryption key.

6. tehshocker

tehshocker New Member

Since you're Doing a Restore make sure you install SP2 right after the Restore before you add any programs, also make sure your firewall is turned off and any other "Security" Programs like anti virus!