GUN Soyblog: I just staked my castle nut on my new lower

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

This is one of those things people get bent out of shape and have arguments about with ar15s? Seriously? It took me longer to find my hammer and punch than to tap each side 4 times to drive the metal. I even had to dremel a couple spots into my castle nut since it didn't have any slots on the receiver plate side and it was still easier than making breakfast.

2. lump

lump New Member

your staking is not up to military specifications. You wasted money on a sub par product and you minus whale use your improperly staked weapon and kill yourself.

[​IMG]

3. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Should have bought a lolrue castle nut

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i tightened mine down a ton when i built it, but noticed it was a little loose when i was building my other lowers so i put some blue loc-tite(sp?) on it.

doubt it'll back off now but if it does i'll stake it

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've already found out that my buffer tube is made from 6061 instead of milspec 7071, I bet its going to fold in half :(

6. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

7. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

I just use a dab of blue loctite.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I did that too. Belt and suspender :mamoru:

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

lol, welcome to the world of AR's.

Fucking strange people dude.

10. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Being the only person on here with ANY experience with a MOACKS, probably, I will say that it does a fantastic job. Far better than most people can do without it.

I understand the sentiment of the purposely retarded posts on here - but most of the time, you guys have to understand that just because you don't understand the necessity for a particular part's callout or specification doesn't mean it doesn't have a reason behind it.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'll bite :big grin:

Really, isn't "better" pretty relative here? We're talking about a pretty caveman operation here. Smash a suitable amount of metal into other metal. I have no trouble believe there are some people that can't work a hammer and punch, possibly a vice, but isn't the solution to their problem is to learn how instead of buying a $100 tool?

I would also make the argument that just because something is specified doesn't mean its really a necessity either. Take this thread for example http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=18218 A few guys recommend the DSA buffer tube, say they've running them without problems and then shit and get ready to sell them when they find out they aren't milspec :rofl: I mean really when's the last time you saw a bent buffer tube, even on the innerweb?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  12. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I'm not trying to troll anybody - no need to 'bite'. Besides, this is a topic that I can bring you down to my level on and smash you with experience on. :d

Here's why the MOACKS is around - it's for depot-level armorers to uniformly and quickly stake weapons. It's not for an end user to buy to stake one weapon with. The MOACKS was designed specifically at first because so many police departments had Bushmasters with loose carrier keys, so there was a need for a tool to fix that without sending them all back to Maine.

Also, the MOACKS was really the first tool you could use to scrape carbon off the tail of the AR15's bolt - before the CATM4 and the Magnamatic AR15 tool. The utility of this is hotly debated, especially as it seems that there's a definite shift away from white-glove cleanliness to sufficient lubrication and preventative maintenance/inspection as a TTP for weapons maintenance as of late.

That being said, I have a MOACKS II and I am very, very happy with it.

13. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

You understand that people don't want a mil-spec buffer tube for it's strength, right? The strength is important though - mortaring a weapon is very hard on the stock and the buffer tube. I broke a Magpul M93B mortaring it a number of years ago.

It's a totally different size from the commercial specification and will limit what stocks you can put on the weapon.

Also, a lot of accessories don't fit on commercial buffer tubes, like, say, the fantastic Tango Down PR-4.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

read the thread, its regarding milspec sized buffer tubers made of a different alloy than milspec

ex: my dsa buffer tube is milspec sized but isn't made from 7071, this is what is causes previously happy customers to shit bricks on m4c

15. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I did and slightly edited my post.

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

out of curiosity was your stock extended at the time?

17. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

No, which is why I was surprised that the stock broke. The M93B has a proprietary stock tube, but, I will say that it is made of sufficiently strong materials.

18. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

What is mortering raz?

My comment wasn't neccesarily in regards to the tool you speak of, I can totally understand the different needs of a department levek armorer. Being a guy who seems to be of at least a room temperature IQ though, would you not agree that AR people have developed a persona of dumfucktitude nearly on par with that of the typical FUD hunter? I mean, some the arguments and methodology I hear coming from the big AR sites are about completely fucking retarded, including the goofy hero worship that goes on.

19. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I don't mean you, I meant CKOD in particular, or uh, whatever his name is on here. The guy I quoted.

I understand what you mean, but I think I have a different idea about 'hero worship'. The SMEs, IPs and other people who are smart on like, LF, M4c and WEVO are who they are for a reason. I treat guns like I do anything else. I want to know everything, so, in order to know everything, you have to learn from the people who know everything.

That being said, I'm not on industry forums eating people's dicks or anything. I will say that when Failure2Stop, Pat Rogers, Borebrush, Rob Sloyer, Zak Smith or a couple other Internet people say something - I usually pay attention.

Mortaring is clearing a weapon malfunction by unlocking your charging handle, pulling back on the charging handle (it won't move, since the rifle is jammed up) and slamming the stock into the ground, with the muzzle away from your face, obviously. It looks like a mortar when you do it. You do it when you have stuff like popped primers jamming up the works or something. I had a forward assist failure and the forward assist lug was binding my carbine up, so, immediate action was mortaring the carbine and then clearing the debris.

20. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I don't have time to continue this discussion tonight as I'm leaving to get drunk and chase skanks. I'm genuinely interested in hearing your opinions, and definitely have my own.

We should continue this tomorrow, probably under a different thread.

21. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

Shoulda just got an asap

22. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

A2 stock who needs a castle nut?

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Damn straight, this thread is serious business :mamoru:

24. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

This made no sense to me. :(