Southwestern Bell DSL

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JS, Aug 2, 2004.

?

SBC DSL Standard for $26.95

1. Worth it-good service

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Not Worth it-service sucks

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. JS

JS United States of America

For you people who have the standard 26.95 DSL package especially in San Antonio or other locations, what is your constant speed and are the connections reliable since I would most likely leave the connection going all the time? Aside from that throw me some pros and cons on standard sbc dsl, thnx

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Have SBC DSL and Roadrunner.

Roadrunner is my primary connection with DSL for back-up. Router load balances between the two most of the time, so I can't say what the constant speed is.

Frankly, I would suggest you spend a few bucks more and get a cable modem. It stays connected with no problems, while the DSL modem has to be kicked every once in a while.

3. JS

had roadrunner running at max speeds of up to 250kbps and SBC promises faster than that plus Time Warner's monthly fees were getting ridiculus so I've ditched them.

4. maczter

SBC promises faster for $26.95?

I know they have faster service, but the basic package has always been slower than cable.

5. JS

the express package which is the standard one says it provides 384kbps-1.5mbps downstream unless it becomes less for whatever excuse they give then thats something else.

6. maczter

i'd stick with roadrunner.

what are you basing your 250k speed you cited for roadrunner?

7. JS

that's the speed displayed on the download window while downloading game demos from different websites, the files were usually 20-100mb.

8. maczter

ah. that's what i thought.

you're not going to see any faster and probably slower with basic DSL.

are you still on roadrunner right now?

9. JS

no, got rid of them cuz I was paying too much and I ordered DSL because SBC would bundle it up with my phone bill and dish tv, it just sucks that they don't let me try it out for a week or so, they wanna tie me up with their annual contract immediately but it has not been connected yet that's why I'm here asking for last minute opinions.

10. maczter

well...dsl is slightly cheaper.

roadrunner is generally more reliable and faster.

so, if you want cheaper, go with the DSL. if you want faster speed and less down-time/less hassle trying to get a connection, stick with roadrunner.

as a point of interest, i just logged into my router a few minutes ago and my dsl connection is down and has been for several days and wouldn't re-connect right away. they use PPPoE, so you have to have a user name and password on the machine or router that is first in the chain connected to the DSL modem, as opposed to roadrunner's plug and play which is much easier to trouble shoot.

11. elemental

elemental OT Supporter

I have the standard package at $26.95 and get 1.2mbit, it all matters how far you are from the CO though. At that price I am happy but my friend has the same package and is getting about 750kbps.

12. JS

since the standard plan tells me im going to have a minumum of 384kbps what if I get constant speeds lower than that (hopefully not) would that mean that I'm able to break the contract since they didn't keep what they promised?

13. JS

first con from me..I was suppose to have my service activated today (8/4) and so yesterday out of nowhere my telephone service went out and wasn't restored untill around noon today, they were claiming it was part of the activation process and they were conducting tests on my line, anyways after my phone service was reactivated an SBC operator calls me and says that they are sorry but they were unable to activate my dsl today because there was some problem with the server that provides my area with dsl and put off the activation date untill at the latest friday (8/6) :rant2: I guess I'll let it slide and be patient but if it goes beyond friday I'm just going to have to cancel.