A&P South Side of Milwaukee C&C

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Chicle, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Chicle

Chicle New Member

So I am taking a photojournalism course this semester at school. Our latest assignment was to document something, it could have been anything. I chose the South Side of Milwaukee which is the latino side of the city. I feel fairly confident with these images, just thought I would throw them out here and see if you guys have any comments to improve them before I turn the assignment in. Thanks.

St. Josaphat's Basilica. One of the largest copper domes in the world and a prominent landmark of the south side. It was the third basilica in the United States and now contains an elementary and middle school made up of mostly latino youth.
    [​IMG]

Mural on Cesar Chavez Dr. Murals play a large part in hispanic art, this mural depicts the mayan ruins of Chichen Itza, an Aztec calendar, and a book page with a portrait of Cesar Chavez overlooking a farmer in their field.
    [​IMG]

An abandoned restaurant building is not a unfamiliar site in the southside. Looking at the awning one can see that this building has housed more than one taqueria.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A sad reality of many poorer neighborhoods is the local liquor store on every corner and Milwaukee's South Side is no exception.
    [​IMG]

In effort to improve the south side the city has broken up areas into specific neighborhoods to try and improve a sense of community. Lincoln Village runs from 5th to 20th street on Lincoln Ave. It includes many restaurants and shops as well as St. Josaphat's Basilica.
    [​IMG]

Western Mexican wear is very popular in the south side of Milwaukee because of its high level of Mexican immigrants.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. aCab

aCab New Member

Good thing its a photojournalism course and not a basic journalism coarse.

3. Chicle

Chicle New Member

edited. and thanks jackass :wavey:

4. aCab

aCab New Member

np. Keep up the photojournalism stuff though. Being able to tell a story with a picture is one of the hardest things IMO.

5. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

You at UWM?

Carroll grad here. I'm in Waukesha.

5,6, and 7 catch me.

6. Chicle

Chicle New Member

Yep, live on the east side work on the south side.

7. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

I went to UWM holla!

I love la perla, that's about as far south as I went though...

8. krusty_9

krusty_9 New Member

Marquette grad here! I used to teach ESL on the southside at Vieau elementary school. Good shots. Certainly brings back memories.

9. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

If you don't mind i've got a couple critiques that i think could help. first the technical aspect.

1. the light on the basilica is great however it goes dead and really dark on the trees and everything below it. I would try to shoot this about an hour or so earlier to get some light down there while still keeping the nice late afternoon light. Or if you want to go for a more classical look, you could shoot it about another hour later or so just to where there no direct sunlight on the building (but not too much later after the sun clears the top), and of course adjust your exposure accordingly. This will give a nice soft lighting to the image.

7 would be stronger if it was dead on squared up.You could get away w/ tweaking the perspective/rotation in photoshop.

As for conceptually, i think all the images are little too lonely. There's no sign of human presence in any of them. It would be great to have people in some of the shots, even if they're just blurred walking across the scene. Otherwise it feels pretty barren.

Otherwise, it looks like the potential is there just could use a few tweaks to create stronger emotional responses.

10. Ty Webb

I am going downtown tonight in Milwaukee to shoot I think.

11. Chicle

Chicle New Member

where you going to head out?

12. Chicle

Chicle New Member

Thanks for the critiques, they all make sense. I went out on a sunday afternoon for all the shots except for the basilica. The project was due on the following tuesday and it was rainy and gloomy for 2 weeks beforehand so I had to go out and just get it done. I wish I would have had more people for sure.

13. Ty Webb

I was down by the Museum. Typical. LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got really bored though.