SRS South Park Episode on AA

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pego, Dec 10, 2005.

1. pego

pego New Member

Did anyone see the South Park on Wenesday night (7th Dec). It was about Stan's dad getting a DUI and having to attend AA meetings. It really pisses me off when a 12 step program is featured on TV. They get hung up on the God thing and make it out like AA is a religious group, which it most definitely is not.

Penn and Teller did a similar program last year, and having watched it, i totally dismissed AA when my loved ones suggested AA by saying that i dont want religion in my life. Basically that was my excuse.

It's a pity that the media portray this falsely, i had to hit my rock bottom, my personal hell if you like before i realised that AA was my only chance of getting sober. I wonder how many still suffering alcoholics watched that episode and resolved never to go through the doors of an AA room.

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I completely agree with you. I heard about the Pen & Teller's show claiming to "debunk common things," and I also heard they wrote off AA as a religious organization, which is absolutely not the case. I must say, most of the general public has a poor understanding of AA.

If you meet someone who has known someone in AA, they usually have a good understanding of it, and understand that it is not religious and is not a bad thing. It's pretty sad, because it gives many alcoholics an excuse not to try AA, and prolongs the suffering of many potential alcoholics.

I must say I have quite a resentment against Penn & Teller, and doubt the accuracy of anything they say after hearing how they diagnose AA. I'll definitely have to check out that South Park episode, I think I have it on Tivo. I'll check back in with my official review.

3. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

I think AA is a good thing and have had many friends and family helped by them. Ive been to a number of meetings with the people I love for support. However the meetings i've been to i'd say more than half the speakers mention god or give thanks to god and ive ran into more than a few fairly and somewhat aggressive religious people inside the halls of those meetings.

4. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

That may be true, but the program of AA is contained within the literature. Most of the meetings I've been to, God may be mentioned, but the people are referring to their Higher Power, not the common conception of the Christian God (Jesus Christ).

Every group of people has a few whackos. It's no reason to discount the entire organization. I just watched the South Park episode, and I was pretty appalled at the way they tied in the Catholic church, religion, and AA together. It pretty much somes up common misconceptions of AA that hurt the still suffering alcoholic.

On the flip side, I saw Walk the Line, a movie about Johnny Cash. That is a much more solid description of the alcoholic/addict. Meetings are for people like Johnny Cash, not for the one idiot who gets a DUI once. What pissed me off the most, is when Stan's dad goes into the AA meeting and says "Well I'm don't think I'm an alcoholic, I made one stupid decision and I won't do it again," and they tell him he's powerless over alcohol. That would never happen at any meeting, he would simply be told "ok, well just sit down and listen then," or possibly "keep coming back."

5. Don Ganja

Don Ganja Drunk Driving > *

south park is a hilarious cartoon that offends everyone. dont take it to heart.

6. AgentParanoia

AgentParanoia New Member

i have to say that i was a skeptic and even came into these forums flaming and causing all kinds of trouble after seeing that south park episode. since then i have talked to a few friends and family who i have found out were in aa. they all believe in god now, but some of them cleared it up to say that it's more of a higher power holding things together. whatever it is that happens in there, it's really not for anyone else to judge. i agree that the thing with stan's dad is ridiculous if it really went on, but courts just order people into aa because it's easy to do. i don't think many dui drivers would never drink and drive again because of aa. on the other hand, i think the program has done a lot of good for real addicts. whatever works to get you back on track from aa to just cold turkey, do it. you will be glad you did if you have a serious problem.

7. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

i thought it was funny as fuck! sure, i may not agree with the end speech but hey, alot of non adicts think that way. it is not their fault that they dont understand.

be careful no to lose your sense of humor. Cuz it ws pretty fucking funny!!

:rofl:

8. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

My brother went to AA, and all they did was push religion on him, he was able to ignor it and get through.

9. James Bond

James Bond Guest

I saw this epsioide and thought it was great, if you where a jew or fag how do you think south park would make you feel?

10. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Well then you're brother went to a shitty meeting. Not all AA meetings are the same, and do not represent AA as a whole.

That's basically like to trying to judge the United States by visiting one city, and saying it sucked and you didn't like it.

11. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

Good analogy. I went to eight meetings last week from six different groups and not once did anyone try to push religion on me.

12. sardonicism

sardonicism New Member

I find it funny that you guys try to convince yourself that NA and AA aren't religious programs. The second step clearly states that you have to believe in a higher power. Now what else would you think is a higher power? Some people might say "the program" or something equally absurd. Obviously, higher power is a metaphor for "God" or whatever god of the religion you choose to believe in. In the views of NA and AA, you won't get any better if you don't work the steps (which involves accepting God). It sort of seems like they force you to believe in religion.

However, I agree with the person that said true addicts cannot control their using/drinking. Once you relapse and head down that path, you most likely revert to the way you were when you quit, and then worse.

edit: I was in NA for about 9-10 months, and I know a good deal about the program. I've read the basic text about 2 or 3 times through.

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  13. raikou

raikou New Member

^I think that is clouding the situation, before I went to an AA or NA program I was in control of my drinking(big mess) it just means I must defer to my group or a program that has worked for many , many others which I choose to call god, for lack of a better word. I am no longer being god, I am listening instead of talking. Whom am I, to think I am better than millions and counting, who have found peace and sobrity maybe I better shut up and heard how they have done it cause what I did didn't work ;)
    just my 2 cents

14. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I know plenty of addicts who claim to believe in a Higher Power that isn't associated with any religion. If there are no rules about what you're Higher Power is, what it can or can't do, and it isn't required to be associated with any religion, then how is it really religion? I believe it's more about realizing that you do not hold all power over your life or others, and sometimes it is better to give up trying to control the world. This act of accepting reality is oftentimes the most beneficial aspect of "working a program."

15. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

I agree. To me, religion and spirituality are two different things.