GUN Sounds like an interesting gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Oct 12, 2007.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Russians blast off without space pistol

Russia is sending a cosmonaut into space without a fearsome triple-barrelled "space pistol" for the first time in 20 years, due to a shortage of ammunition.

The gun has been in service for more than 20 years
    Yuri Malenchenko will join colleagues on a flight to the International Space Station (ISS) today, but he will travel without the specially-designed weapon.

Created in 1982 and in service since 1986, the TP-82 pistol was not primarily designed to fend off hostile extra-terrestrials.

Instead it is meant to protect the shuttle's crew if they land in a hostile environment back on earth.

The unique pistol has three barrels which fire hunting rounds as well as rifle bullets and signal flares. Its butt serves as a machete and a spade.

advertisement

However, the gun's original ammunition has deteriorated so much it is no longer viable and no new bullets are available.

Nevertheless, the cosmonaut will not risk going into space completely unarmed. "Malenchenko will be taking with him a simple pistol," a Russian space official said.

His will not be the only weapon on board the flight. ISS crew commander and US astronaut Peggy Whitson will be wielding a "kamcha" - a traditional Kazakh horse-whip, which a Russian space official advised her to take "as a symbol of a commander's authority on board".

"I do not believe I will have to use it," she said in Russian with a smile yesterday. "Well, let's have it, just in case."

The voyage to the space station blasts off on Wednesday afternoon.

The Russian Soyuz rocket is due to dock with the ISS on Oct 12. Once in space, the astronauts will spend six months in orbit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/09/wpistol109.xml&

Cliffs: Even the russians are having a shortage of surplus ammo, opt to take pistol and whip to the space station instead.

BTW apparently 2 of the barrels fire 12.5mm and the third is 5.45mm.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wtf... can they even land without signifigant help from people on earth? And if so, are they really gonna "fight off zombies" from the airport in their shuttle? no.

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

4. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

7. Gein

Gein New Member

it seems like having a gun might be a bad idea on the space shuttle. I dunno.

8. spitter3

spitter3 New Member

9. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

who the fuck is he going to defend himself against :ugh:

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think its suppose to be for earth use not while in space, in case they have to do an emergency landing somewhere and come across local wildlife. But they did have a 12.5 machine gun mounted on there space station too :cool:

11. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Yuri: Uh, sir...my gun's bullets are...uh...um...they fell apart when I touched the gun.
    Boris: Oh...uh...well here's another.
    Yuri: This one's the same, I turned it in last week.
    Boris: You saying your country can't provide you good weapon, comrade?
    Yuri: No sir I'm saying the bullets are bad.
    Boris: You're saying your comrades can't make you good bullets?
    Yuri: No I'm...forget it I'll just take it.

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Nice drilling :cool:

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I dont see why they don't just take a Krink, takes up about the same space holds more ammo, what was the point of designing a gun just for this use when others would work, wasting money on somthing dumb like that sounds more like our govt then the russians :o

14. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

It sounds like the original use was in the Soviet era space craft you could land anywhere in the frozen wasteland on the north and it was a survival tool for hunting defense and flares, not its probably just tradition. Though I would trust a russian gun's ability to fire just as much as I would trust a russian spacecraft to land me in the correct spot.

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:dunno: I'd trust a russian gun over american. Hell I'd probably trust a russian spacecraft more then an american :o when was the last time they lost a crew? I know they lost some back in the old soviet days but recently? :dunno:

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the shuttle needs to go.

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl: first thing i thought of was if the got caught in some type of planet of the apes-esque time lapse and landed back on earth during a global war or something. or mutants/zombies :o

18. JaimeZX

:rofl: In Soviet Russia, Gun takes YOU.

Well, true. But the Soviets stuck with the "simple, disposable, & reliable" technique when designing their space vehicles. As usual, we went with the cutting/bleeding-edge super-awesome sweet reusable recyclable space plane/glider rocket machine thingy. And the Shuttle IS an amazing feat of humanity, as far as I'm concerned. BUT it's also an example of what happens when competing government entities have different wants & needs and somebody in the budget office says "Wait. These look similar to me. Just design one thing to do both jobs." Kind of like in Dilbert.

[​IMG]

19. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

The real limitation with the shuttle was the fact that you basically had to rebuild it every time it came back. It made it take nearly as long to build a shuttle as it did to put together the Apollo missions, in fact in some cases it took longer. Not to mention that the payload capacity was by no means impressive.

Space elevator ftw

20. JaimeZX

:werd: But materials science has a long ways to go before that happens. :hsd:

21. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Actually, with the invention of the carbon nanotube, it's more an intense materials engineering challenge... but space elevators have certain other logisitcal, economic, and political problems that make them not quite so practical as everyone would like.