Soundproofing an interior wall?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Logik, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Logik

Logik Livin la vida broka

Theres a wall that im interested in soundproofing (or deadening as much as i can). Ive researching sound deadening materials like Linacoustic and Eggshell Foam but cant find a place to procure quantity of this stuff.

-The interior wall that needs soundproofed is 9'3" x 7'5", and it is currently just painted drywall.
    -I would prefer the material to be a black/white/grey color unless its paintable.
    -I'd like to keep costs to a minimum (~$100-150), since the wall isnt in my house.

Any help in what to use and where to procure it would be GREATLY appreciated.

:x:

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

3. Logik

thanks. do you reccommend any of those? Most of the links do not have prices.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

lots of them list prices seperately from where the products are listed

cant make any good recommendations sorry

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

so what are you trying to deaden for?

6. Logik

an interior wall that has a entertainment center on one side and a bed on the other. When i'm listening to music or whatever in 1 room i dont want it reverbing off the wall. :sadwavey:

7. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost Jesus is so f*kin' metal

If you want to do it yourself with real cheap material, just get some 2x2's and some cloth you like. Nail the 2x2's over each stud and staple the cloth to them. That'll deaden a good deal of sound, but if you want to go even more, you can get some of that ugly-ass eggshell stuff from a bedding store and attach it between the 2x2's and staple the cloth over top of it so you can't see it.

Depending on the type of cloth you get, you can do that for very cheap.

8. Logik

what type or style of cloth works best?

9. Ardentfrost

slightly porous and/or textured if possible. That will reflect the least amount of sound.

You want most sound to be passed through the cloth and get lost behind it, so a very flat type of cloth (like, a lot of the REALLY cheap stuff you can get at wal-mart) pulled tight would reflect a higher % of the sound than what I previously mentioned. I've never seen a really thick cloth used in this type of setup, but I would assume it would go by the same rules as a thinner cloth.

However, movie theaters hang thick cloth around the room to help kill sound, but they don't make panels out of them, as I have suggested... they hang them as curtains to give a variable wavy surface. But then, thick cloth is fairly expensive :dunno: I've never seen thin cloth hung around a room like curtains to help dissipate sound, but now that I mention it, I wonder if that would work... or a few layers of thin cloth hung like that might work too.

It really all depends on how much money you want to spend. I like to do it myself inexpensively, but others like to pay someone to do it or buy products. It's your preference :) but doing it yourself allows you to learn more about it and try stuff. You can whoop out some old bedsheets and see what works best for your room

10. Ardentfrost

I'm sorry, I kept saying sound proofing when I meant adjusting the impulse response of the room (or, increasing the sound absorption of the walls). The point is mostly to deflect as much of the sound in "harmless" directions as possible, that's why you want variable textures in wall treatments (such as that egg crate stuff).

But cloth absolutely dampens sound in a room... stand in a bare room and play a sound in it. Then put curtains in the room and play the same sound. It will sound very different because you are losing points of deflection. With enough of that, you can deaden a room pretty well. Not as well as professional treatments, but if you want a budget way to make a room sound tons better, this is it.

I've seen the cloth covered walls stretched across 2x2's in auditoriums before to help deaden the sound and it works alright... I suggested the eggshell underneath as a way to increase deflection of sound for better deadening.

11. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Not true. Hang some comforters around the room and step outside, the difference in sound travelling through the walls will be very noticeable. Believe me, I know, I lived in Isla Vista (party town in Santa Barbara, CA) and had to utilize this method.

12. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

wow, amazing to see a civilized discussion in here. the car audio gets pretty nasty....

anyways, the eggshell may work ok. i might suggest 2-3" of regular foam rubber, then a layer of egg crate, covered by some curtains. that might work out pretty well. the reason i say the reg foam under all of this is to possibly absorb any last sound wave that might "get through" (lack of terminolgy > me) and dampen a bit more.

and if push comes to shove......a few layers of dynamat extreme should do the trick!!!!! :mamoru:

13. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

Ummmmm.....

Did you miss this?

14. Ardentfrost

I'm just not used to people wanting sound proofing necessarily. When measuring sound in enclosed spaces, you tend to think of the other side of things... making the room sound as good as possible. Often that is over-looked in residential audio, but I think the desire for that is on the horizon.

So, my bad, I was not talking about sound proofing, I was talking about preventing sound reflections to decrease delay, echoes, and reverb in a room.

15. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

dynamat actual has a line of home stuff now... pretty cool stuff. too bad its soo expensive.

16. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Um, I'm sorry that I made the assumption that comforters might be included in the "etc.", in "Bedsheets, fabric, cloth, etc.".

Anyway, I'm certain what it does do since I've tried it on multiple occasions with other people standing outside to verify what I had heard. It does eliminate substantial noise. How many dB's I'm not sure. And of course it eliminates some echoes, but I'm discussing soundproofing. Please go try it for yourself before theorizing. Ever been inside a frat house during a party? They have many innovative cheap ways of sound proofing for the cops, and one of them is to use lots of comforters.

17. Logik

just something to help deaden the sound on the 1 wall. i know it wont be 100% soundproof but anythings better than whats there now.

i've read up some more and it appears that the Linacoustic material will do exactly what i want. Deaden sound from vibrating off the 1 wall in particular.

I just need to find a place to procure it.

Can someone provide a number and/or website with a cost? :hsd:

18. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

Exccuse me I'm wrong, but doesn't linacoustic improve SQ by absorbing mid and high frequencies? Therefore it should be able to prevent some sound from leaving the room.

However, you can't really soundproof a room (bass in particular) without using the construction methods mentioned earlier.

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

im skipping a few posts so excuse if im reposting something

keep in mind the sound may be leaking through more than just a wall, it could be passing through ceiling joints and the floor amongst other things.

it can pass easily through things like the floor especially if the floor is connected quite well into the next room, ie several rooms are on a concrete slab, the sound will pass through that slab like its nothing

structure born sound passes through denser materials faster

you need to cover 2 things to isolate sound within a room and those 2 things each cover a different type of sound

airborne sound (what you hear being generated by the speaker)

structural borne, what comes after after that sound starts bouncing around

so you need dense layers to kill the airborne sound and a air gap to kill the structure born sounds

here is an example of a floating floor which isolates the chamber:

[​IMG]

also keep in mind heating and air conditioning systems will also transmit noise via ducts

i know you cant take care of anything but i thought id throw you some info so you get a understanding of what is taking place and the 2 kinds of sounds that transmit through your home

i find that doors often leak a large majority of sound as well and getting that door sealed could make a good difference especially (if you have a door leading to another room) hopefully you have solid doors and not hollow ones but who knows.

if it was me and i didnt have a large budget and i needed to do something without tearing shit apart id prolly go for wall treatments that sit off the wall a bit and maybe try working furniture to my advantage to absorb as much sound as possible, the wall treatments would still be very tricky though and im not sure what kind of a difference it would make in the next room but dont expect to get any sort of bass isolation

:dunno:

you can cut down on those airborne noises a bit but as far as bass thundering through the wood in your house that would require heavy duty construction to get rid of

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2006
  20. Ronin

Ronin Guest

for a cheap ghetto fix perhaps a wall treatment of some sort and then do a wall hang over it to cover it up :dunno:

you could make a diy project out of it but yeah dont forget even if u cut thru the sound seeping thru that wall there could still be sound coming from other locations

good luck to you whatever u decide to do

21. Ronin

Ronin Guest

PS if your sound barriers arent strong enuf (thin plaster for example) it will only slow down the wave and weaken it and when it gets through to the other room it can become more airborne and structural borne sounds so if you are going to do treatments aim for overkill

22. Logik

cool, thanks for the help.

23. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

there is a lot of conversation about acoustic foam, and linacoustic NOT having ANY soundproofing capability. while in definition it is true, it will not sound proof, it will substantially muffle sound. as both of these materials absorb sound waves, they WILL make a noticeable difference, in sound carried through a wall. i am sitting in a room right now with 4 walls covered in acoustic foam. it does make a difference. it is not going to deaden sound, but i can keep the volume up in here and others can sleep. as for looks, i might try dynamat first, as this is my audio/computer room, i need not worry about looks, but it is darker in here, mainly because of black acoustic foam. its a big investment for a small difference, i guess it comes down to how much you have to spend. for more accurate pricing, you might call full compass... www.fullcompass.com