Soundcard Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dimo, Dec 13, 2006.

1. dimo

dimo New Member

Ok so i recently upgraded to a set of Logitech 5400 speakers (5.1 DTS etc..) which im runing using on-board sound (coax connection to Realtek audio in a Asus a8n card).

So my question is, am i going to notice a big difference if i buy a dedicated soundcard like XtremeMusic? Mainly for things like mp3's and divx movies.

2. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

My experience is that while on-board 5.1 audio works just as well, you will get a noticable (sp?) difference with a dedicated sound card.

Let's put it this way, I'm itching to get my hands on an X-Fi.

3. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

I would say if you have an accute set of ears, you might notice a "good enough" different. I'd like to go back to having a dedicated sound card, but for most everyday uses, the onboard one will do, especially if it's a quality sound chip. I wouldn't worry too much, but being an audiophile makes you crave for the best :big grin:

4. dimo

dimo New Member

yeah im leaning towards just sticking with the on-board and maybe spending the money elsewhere like some ram.

5. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Personally, I'm really picky about audio quality, and so I ended up going with an X-Fi over the onboard audio. I noticed quite a difference between the two. I went with the full-on X-Fi Elite Pro, but the xtremeMusic is a great card for the price.