Sound system for dorm room

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dean Duben, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Dean Duben

Dean Duben New Member

Im planning on buying a cheap home theator system for the dorm. I already have a samsung 23" lcd(ln-t2353h) hooked up to a mini mac and an xbox 360 with an hd dvd player. My concerns are:
    1. I don't want to spend over $200
    2. It doesn't need to be that loud cause other people in nearby rooms would get pissed.
    3. I don't really want to set up a component system, I'd rather buy a solid package.

I've been looking at this but I want to hear your opinions. Thanks.

2. El Rudo

El Rudo The Borinqueneers

3. ha\/0k

ha\/0k Resident Enginerd

I have an older version of that sony system you're looking at. I bought it for the exact same reasons - had a small dorm room and wanted a sound system. I have no complaints. You might want to look into getting the replacement plan, I did and I ended up using it when I knocked a speaker off of a cabinet and onto the floor.

It's not a $4000 THX setup, but hell, for a dorm - it'll do just fine.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

look at used shit on audiogon.com

that price range wont get you anything worth while

i might also suggest computer speakers as theyll hook into an xbox EG Klipsch

5. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

i have that sony system and with tweeks it sounds awesome in a dorm room. this year I am not living in a dorm so I bought some sony bookshelf speakers to replace all the front speakers and it makes it sound awesome when setup correctly. A friend of mine bought a $1000 klipis system and mine sounds better because he doesn't know how to set up the system. spend time setting it up and it will sound as good as good as most other systems.

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

:hsugh: sony

7. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

And you WILL find something worthwhile for $200 on audiogon? That place must have changed a lot lately :mamoru:

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

it was worth a try, 200 dollars is the worst budget ever :mamoru:

9. Dean Duben

Dean Duben New Member

I know $200 is a ridiculous budget but I'm only looking for something for a 10' by 12' room that I will never use again after 2 years. I guess I might go up to $400 but it kind of seems like a waste cuz I'm never going to use it again.

Here's a noob question: If I use an HDMI cable to go from 360 to my tv then use an optical cable to go from the tv to the speaker system will it still be able to do 5.1 properly? Or should I get the more expensive sony system and go from 360 to system with hdmi then system to tv with another hdmi?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007