Sound Popping + Computer Tower Generally Loud

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bowrofl, Dec 8, 2009.

1. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Hello.. I hope someone here has some advice on two different yet equally annoying problems.

a) Cracking during sound playback. Occurs when listening to music, watching a movie, playing a game on the PC... pretty much all playback. Lots of fuzz and constant crackling, it's very annoying. I have onboard sound (Realtek ALC889A + gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R Motherboard) but I am not too sure if it is that. When I hook my PC up to my Samsung 46" LCD TV via my video card (MSI Radeon 4890 1GB, comes with DVI->HDMI dongle and ATI HDMI Sound input... latest drivers) I get some crackling as well, although not nearly as much as when I playback through on-board sound. Any ideas on how I may be able to solve this? Because I get some crackling through the DVI/HDMI as well, I don't know if a sound card will fix it.

2) I think this second problem is more common. 2 years ago when I first built my PC, you had to put your ear up to the tower to even hear anything coming from it. The tower was extremely quiet. Now I feel like all the fans are twice as loud and the hard drive is noisy as hell, you can constantly hear it working now. Is there any way I can get my tower as quiet as it used to be without replacing parts? Or is this just natural wear-down of equipment?

Any advice would be appreciated :hsd:

2. sj23

sj23 Active Member

2) Have you checked the inside of the case for dust?

3. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

a) Loose cables inputs / damaged cabled or inputs.
    b) Dusty; clean it. Or if the computer is old, you can always take the center sticker off the fans and add a drop of oil inside then put the sticker back on.

4. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Yeah. I clean dust out of the tower every few months using a can of compressed air. :hs: Don't really notice a difference in the sounds the computer makes before and after cleaning.

Hmm... know of any way I can troubleshoot problem a) and figure out whether it's the cables or inputs? Because I can probably replace a cable but if it's something else I'm probably screwed. :hs: I'll give dusting another try though.

5. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

Play a simple song or tune, and wiggle the cable at the inputs while it plays.