Sound only comes from Subwoofer in car...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SPAM, Jul 9, 2006.

1. SPAM

SPAM Guest

What could be the source of the problem? I have a Pioneer DVD/monitor headunit that connects to an audio/visual master unit in the trunk.

Here are some key points that may help someone narrow the problem down.

--I disconnected all of the cables (one at a time) that connect between the two and each time the system shuts off so I'm assuming that the cables are good.
    --My amp for the sub connects straight to the audio/visual master unit via RCA cables and it works fine.
    --My door speakers that dont work are connected to the a/v master unit with no type of amp.
    --I tried to connect a different set of speakers to the existing subwoofer amp and still no sound but the sub is still bumping.
    --The setup I have worked for two years with no issues. The sound went away in a day but was intermittant on a bumpy road a few days ago.

Anyone have any ideas? I am leaving for the middle east in a few days and would hate to leave my wife and kids with no tunes for a few months.

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

sounds like you have a short in the wire, or you have a speaker blown... newer decks can protect themselves when there is a short, by turning off it's internal amp(but for only so long)... try fading the deck all the way forward then shutting it off... then turn it on... if there is sound, you have a bad back speaker, if not... fade it all the way to the back... once you find out if it's the front or back... use the balance the same way to narrow down which side, and when you find out which speaker it is... remove it, and use a battery to test if it pops... if it don't pop, it's bad... if it does pop, use a multimeter to test for a grounded out wire... and if the balance and fader tests did nothing, you can take out one of the speakers... and use a test speaker(one you know works), to see if the internal amp works.

3. SPAM

SPAM Guest

I tried using a separate set of speaker and connected them to both the amp and the to the wires of the original speakers....no go on either or. No sound comes from any of the 4 door speakers.

4. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

grounded out speaker

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

what type of vehicle?

6. SPAM

SPAM Guest

The issue was on a Subaru Legacy GT. Fixed now.

Ilovewhitegirls got it....thanks man. I dont get how one got grounded out it cut out the rest. Kinda like one of those cheap Christmas light strings, when one goes out they all go out and you have to trial and error to find out the problem. Easier to just go out and buy some new ones (my rational in getting new Pioneer 6.5s for all the doors).

7. twistid

like i told you in my post newer decks have protection, if there is a short to protect itself it will shut the internal amp off.

8. SPAM

SPAM Guest

I understand now but I wouldnt have known how to troubleshoot it based off of what you said. The fade thing wouldnt have worked because none of the speakers worked.
    Thanks to you too though...

9. twistid

it only works when you shut it off after each change... the protection would not kick, if the bad speaker had no power going to it.