sound issues help!!!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BillyGlide, Jun 30, 2005.

1. BillyGlide

BillyGlide New Member

After having to use the "repair" feature on xp because of this error ( "WINDOWS COULD NOT RESTART ITSELF BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CONFIG\SYSTEM

YOU CAN ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THIS FILE BY STARTING WINDOWS SETUP USING THE ORIGINAL SETUP CD ROM. SELECT R AT THE FIRST SCREEN TO START REPAIR")
    I now have no sound!!!! I have tried installing new drivers for my sound card, manually removing and reinstalling my sound card and updating my mobo driver.....all with no results. In my device manager under system devices there is an exclamation mark beside the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator and the status box reads "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
    Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device. (which I did with no luck) Any help as to what the hell is going on would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

specs........... hope this helps

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. REV 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V-133 ACPI BIOS Revision 1009 04/23/2002
    1.15 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)
    Creative Game Port

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It sounds like the drivers are corrupt.

I'm sure how you exactly removed the sound card, but have you tried delteing the sound devices in device manager, rebooting, and letting Windows pick them back up?

If so and there is still an exclamation point next to the device, right click on it and go to properties. Click the update driver button and force it to install the new drivers (select the option to install from a specific location).

3. BillyGlide

BillyGlide New Member

I physically removed the sound card and removed it through device manager and still having problems. I also tried to update the drive in the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator (where the exclamation point is) and this also has not helped .....

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Did you manually remove the drivers though?

If you simply delete the device from device manager or remove the card and put it back in, chances are it could be installing the same driver which is giving you the problem.

Did you try to force the install of a new driver?

Download new drivers from the web, uncompress to a folder on your desktop. Right click on the exclamation point next to the device and when you update the driver, select specific location or have disc, whatever is available and make sure it uses the driver you pick. Did you try that?

5. BillyGlide

BillyGlide New Member

getting worse.....

hi cm.....

I manually removed the sound card driver and installed the newest driver and still have the same problem. I also uninstalled the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator (which had the exclamation mark beside it) and now that isnt showing up under system devices anymore and windows doesnt see any new Plug and Play devices when I use the add new hardware wizard :ugh: What driver is the Plug and Play Software Device looking for? sound card driver? Sorry to sound like such a noob to all this....

6. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

sounds like you have/had a bad sector on your hard drive and that caused the initial config files to be corrupted. i've never had much luck with repairing windows and having programs/drivers work right.

i personally would just reformat and start clean and fresh. but then i'm prone to just saying 'fuckit, lets reformat.' when other people will try and work the problem out.