Sound "cracking" in games

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Strife, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Strife

Strife Active Member

So I played CS on my new computer today and I noticed that there is a crackling type of sound for sounds with loud base, like bomb explosions.

My old computer had no problems at all ever and it had an even worse onboard audio and I'm using the same speakers. Right now I'm using the Asus P5B deluxe built-in sound which I heard was good, I uses soundmax digital HD. My old computer just had regular soundmax digital. I upgraded the drivers on both of them so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Has anyone experienced this ever or know of a fix. I'd rather not drop more money on a sound card if I don't need it, never had a problem using onboard sound on my old comp.

2. www.techdo.com

www.techdo.com New Member

You can run dxdiag, click start>run>"dxdiag", click on the sound tab, set
    the sound acceleration down a bit and see if that helps. If it does, its
    problaby a driver problem

3. Strife

Strife Active Member

i'll try that when I get home, thanx

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It could be the front-side bus on your motherboard is overloaded with data, but more likely Counterstrike is running at too high of a priority and it's interfering with the sound driver's ability to get data out to the sound card before the sound card uses up all the data it already has.

Try starting Counterstrike, then Alt+Tabbing out of it. Start taskmgr.exe, open the Processes tab, and set every process that looks like it's related to Counterstrike (probably just "CS.EXE") to have a "Below Normal" priority. This way, the other programs on your computer won't get shoved out of the way when Counterstrike feels like taking over the CPU.

If it makes CS run like shit, or if it doesn't fix the sound problem, don't worry, because the priority will get reset the next time you run it. If it DOES help, however, I can hook you up with a program that will save the priority setting and reuse it every time you start the game.

5. Strife

Strife Active Member

Haven't tried that yet but last night when I got home I tried dxdiag and tried the setting on all 4 acceleration settings. All of them still had the ckrackling sound, and I tried it with music this time not CS. Arg I'm not sure what's wrong but if I can't find I fix soon I guess I'll have to buy a cheap soundcard. Anyone else know of any possible fixes or if not, whats a good cheap sound card :/, already spent about $1600 building this comp and with christmas I can't spend much more.

6. deusexaethera

Have you tried using different speakers?

If you buy a soundcard, don't buy a cheap one. The one you have built into your computer is already cheap. Get an Audigy or an M-Audio.

7. Strife

Strife Active Member

I used two different speakers, none are amazing but there not horrible, and the one im using worked fine on my other comp. One is just 2 speakers and sub, the other is just 2 higher quality speakers but no sub. I can check the exact specifications when I get home.

In terms of sound cards I don't care so much about the cheap factor rather I wish I could just get this scratchiness to get fixed. I was fine with my old onboard soundcard which worked fine and bass and everything was good. I care more about graphics and fps than sound.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You say that you upgraded the drivers. What do you mean by that?

Did you get the drivers from the Asus website?

9. Strife

Strife Active Member

Yea I got them from Asus with the autoupdate, it says the drivers are from 7/xx/2006 so not sure if there is anything newer.

10. Doc Brown

Well believe it or not, trying an older driver for the same motherboard might help.

See if you can find an older one at olderversion.com, or somewhere like that.

Did anybody ask you if you checked system properties yet?

If you look in there, do you see any yellow?

11. Strife

Strife Active Member

I checked to see if its conflicting with any other programs with the exclamation mark and there wasn't any. I'll see if theres an older driver when I get home and see what the date on the driver is on my older comp.

Oh and my new heatsink is waiting when i get home per the other thread :bowdown:

Once I can get this damn sound fixed my comp will finally be perfect ~_~

12. Doc Brown

Great, the only other word of advice that I could offer is to make sure that there are no wires that can sag over time to where they hit any fans.

It's very easy for that to happen and cause big problems.

13. Strife

Strife Active Member

Yep I'll make sure of that, right now there all velcroed together way away from any moving parts. I'm gonna post pics once I get everything 100% complete.

14. ososlow

ososlow OT Supporter

If all else fails. New Egg has a $100 mail in rebate on this sound card.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102163
    Just something to consider if you still have problems.

If your m/b has built in 5.1, have you tried the other ports? Mine crackles plugged into the center/sub channel.

I noticed my sound is starting to crackle a bit only in RS:V after reading this thread, oh well. :big grin:

15. Strife

Strife Active Member

Yea I tried all 6 ports :x

The only one I can hear sound in with my speakers is the green one.

I hate MIR though, I saw some 5 star reviews on 30-40$ soundcards that said they were better than onboard. I really don't need any crazy recording modes or anything, just want it to work normal and give me decent sound without slowing gameplay :/. I was fine with my old comp onboard sound.

16. Doc Brown

I'm with you on that. Soundcards are overrated imo.

It's well worth getting the one on your board up and running properly.

17. Strife

Strife Active Member

No don't think so..

18. deusexaethera

19. Doc Brown

If you're talking about special functions, I won't argue with you.

If you're saying the sound quality itself is "far superior" then I highly disagree.

I bet I could take my Dyanaudio monitors, and with the exception, MAYBE, of a high end Audigy or similar, wire up an AB switch on them and you would not be able to tell if the signal was coming from a soundcard or onboard.

And you sure wouldn't be able to tell which one was "better", no matter what the circumstances were. That's one of the things that's come out of double blind audio tests of gear. "Golden ears" can sometimes tell the difference between a high end tube amp and a middle of the road amp.
    Or expensive audio cable and normal lamp cord, but they can rarely tell you which one was which.

20. Petar

Petar ô¿ô OT Supporter

i have the same problems with my P5B and SOUNDMAX

wtf?!?

21. Petar

Petar ô¿ô OT Supporter

i also get these retarded echo's when people talk in CS:S

22. Strife

Strife Active Member

Oh my old computer has drivers from 2001 :mamoru:
    I didn't have time to check that olddrivers site yesterday but I'll check today and maybe d/ling old drivers will help

23. Doc Brown

Well you need to download drivers specific to your motherboard, so
    it's not going to be that old of a driver.
    But before you rma the board, it's worth trying a slightly older version.

24. ososlow

ososlow OT Supporter

You have to activate the other ports using whatever sound program your m/b came with. You should be able to choose between headphones, stereo, 4 speakers, 5.1, 7.1 . My program is Intel Audio Studio.

The more I listen carefully to my sound, the more I hate it. I guess I have to upgrade drivers or new card.

25. Strife

Strife Active Member

Well I browsed around the Asus forums today and theres a huge thread on a petition to fix onboard soundmax audio. I guess a ton of poeple are having problems with cracking sound and the soundcard taking up way too many system resources.

Guess I'm pretty much screwed on this, I thought newegg reviews said it had good onboard audio :/. I'll just look around newegg and buy a basic 5.1 soundcard for like 30-40$