Sound Cards?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kid018, Aug 3, 2003.

1. kid018

kid018 Guest

hey guys, i dont know a damn things about comps and i just gotta new comp. 2.0ghz Intel P4, 256mb, GeForce2 Mx400, no clue what mobo and some other shit. i am using on-board sound and its kinda sucky, does anyone know a good sound card for less than lets say...30-40 bucks? :hs:

2. D3aC0n

D3aC0n Vesa ToskaLOL OT Supporter

3. MP

MP New Member

I went w/ the creatuve sound blaster. Decent, cheap sound card. Gets the job done *shrug*

4. kid018

kid018 Guest

whats better to play games with, like bf1942, dod, etc.

5. D3aC0n

Creative cards are better supported in games

6. M4A1

M4A1 :)

i agree with deacon. an audigy 2 would be best for gaming, but a santa cruz would be a better choice since its almost as good and only half the price. go for the turtle beach.

7. D3aC0n

I don't think he's gonna be able to find an audigy2 for 30-40 bucks anyway :hs:

8. M4A1

M4A1 :)

agreed. turtle beach is only $40 while an OEM audigy2 is $78. wayyyyy overpriced :(

9. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

The santa cruz and related cards that use the cs46xx chipset have most of the stream mixing (as well as 3D sound positioning) done in software.

In contrast, the creative labs boards do the final mixdown in hardware (up to 64channels), lightening load on the cpu. The card's on board dsp also handles the 3d soundfields for the EAX/openAL sound APIs. In this sense, the card is NOT overpriced at all. Just don't go all out on the audigy 2 if you don't want to pay $200 for a soundcard; get one of the cheaper models instead. They all (in the same model line at least) have the same capabilities as far as the dsp is concerned.

If you're going to be using this thing for gaming, then I'd go with the CL card.

10. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

geforce 2 mx for gaming? never ever ever buy MX cards

11. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

A Few quick questions...

I am using my Asus P4P800 motherboard as my sound card also and everytime the windows xp bootup sound plays it is distorted...but this is the only sound file that does this...my music is also not very loud with new speakers (it doesn't get distorted just full volume isnt very loud)...Would getting another sound card such as the creative labs card above probably remedy these problems? With a new sound card should I change my CD analog audio cables onto it from my motherboard where they are now?

Thanks,
    PJ