A&P Sorting through my confusion

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by wizeguy4, Oct 25, 2007.

1. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I am purchasing a new camera. I am stuck between 2 models - Canon S5 and G9.

My usage for this camera would be mainly taking picutres of my children and alot of times it is indoors. My decision to get a new camera is because I want something that I can use with an external flash. These are both my priorities.

The S5 has the zoom of 12X which I like since I usually am further away from what I am trying to capture, hence why I want the external flash. The camera does not have wireless built in but I have learned that I can rememdy this with transmitter/ receiver combos. This is a feature that I do not know what kid of use I will get. The LCD also swivels which might come in useful but I have never had a camera that did this so I am ot sure if I would use it but I prolly will mess around with it since it is there. This camera is also 8mp which I am learning more and more, is more of a bragging point to other amature camera owners. It is kinda like the horsepower of the camera world (and we know torque wins the race)

The G9 seems to have a feature set I am unfamiliar with and may not use. It does have built in wireless, which as I previously stated, I may not use and if I did, there is a workaround for the S5. It also only has a 6X optical zoom, which is not nearly as impressive to me as 12X of the S5. However, I know there is a 2X tele lens that can be added to either model so I can remedy the 6X and make it 12X. But then I hear that the additional lens would require some more light as there are now 2 lens for light to pass through and not 1. But I am still using an external flash at times so I dont kow if light will be an issue. This camera is also 12mp. But this camera also has captures pictures in RAW, which I am learning is a big deal. But it seems more of a big deal to photo editors. The extent of my editing is really going into PS and cropping the photo and going into the Levels and adjusting the hostogram to eliminate any flat spots to teh right and left and maybe adjust the center arrow a bit.

So neither camera has all the things I would LIKE but there are ways around each one and hopefully will not be a pain in the butt and still let me take a decent picture. I am just lloking to get the best picture I can for the price I can afford.

I think I have rambled enough. Please dont be too harsh if I sound like I dont know what I am talking about. To some degree, I dont and to some, I am still learning

2. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I would go with the S5 its a pretty nice camera, not that the G9 isnt I just don't get why they priced it around $500 you can almost get an entry level DSLR for that price

3. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

4. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

5. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

I'm pretty amateur in my photography, but I'm always trying to get better. I was just on the Fields of the World website and was really impressed by all of the beautiful photographs of flowers. I wish I could take pictures that beautiful....or even come across such natural beauty to photography! It definitely helped to brighten this gloomy day in the DC area. I voted for the field of sunflowers, it reminds me of the sunflowers my family planted when I was younger. If you check it out, share which ones were your favorite and which one you voted for :)