GUN Sorted my brass last night...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thedude11, Sep 4, 2008.

1. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Decided to finally sort my bags and boxes of brass into caliber.

Took me about 1.5-2 hours or so.. not sure when exactly because alcohol was present and that may have altered my perception of time. :)

End result:
    [​IMG]

The box of 9mm is ~22lbs.
    The box of .40S&W is ~23lbs.
    The Target bag is .45ACP and is ~5lbs. I don't shoot anything in .45ACP right now so that's only what I pick up from other people or dumping the bucket in my bag (which I don't do all that often).
    The WWB box is .38 Special and is ~5lbs.
    The USPS box is .40S&W that was already sorted and that box weighs ~26lbs.

Lots of brass... :run:

A small percent of the brass has some oxidation problems. Some only have spots but some are covered like the one on the right below:
    [​IMG]

No good? Can they be cleaned up a bit and still be usable? :dunno:

I've been holding off on getting reloading equipment because I move around fairly often and don't want to deal with moving delicate equipment. Pretty soon I should be settled down to one location so I should be able to get some reloading equipment.... if I still want to. :o

2. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

I wouldn't buy the corroded ones from you but to protect the rest of them you wamy want to put them all in something slightly air tight with a couple dessicant packs. did you tumble them before you put them in the boxes/bag? If you tumble them before you toss them in boxes they should be fine.

3. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I don't have any equipment so they have not been tumbled or cleaned in any way. I think those corroded ones were exposed to elements while at the range and then just deteriorated from there.

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

I don't even waste my time with brass that corroded, easy come easy go, toss em with no regrets.

You spend too much time sorting, I sorted through 2 plastic buckets of brass in half an hour with my Shell Sorter.

http://www.shellsorter.com/page5/page5.html

It's 3 plastic pans with slots cut for 45, 40 and 9mm. I just take a few scoops and let it sift down. Gets rid of all the .22's and rocks and crap.

5. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Now that is a useful looking tool.

6. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Yeah I know about those bins but I'm going to hold off on buying them until I decide on whether I'm going to go through with reloading. :o

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

I hear ya, all you have to do is ask yourself you ever plan on not shooting/collecting firearms. :) I would suggest that it was a better investment than another firearm and around the same price. It's hard to justify because it isn't something as "tangible as another gun, but it'll at least pay itself, eventually.

8. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

$40 for three plastic bowls though. :o I could probably make something similar with a few plastic bins from target and a jig saw for like $5 worth of supplies.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Reloading is good....ammo isn't getting cheaper. Last time I went to the range with factory ammo I went through something like $75 in .223 alone. Its mch more fun to shoot when you don't feel like every pull of the trigger is super expensive.

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

Been there, tried that, I failed miserably. My cuts were not as consistent, the cuts had jagged edges that needed to be sanded for the brass to fall freely, and in the end I spent more time hand sorting my brass. After that weekend wasted and money wasted towards the tools and buckets, I felt the $40 was worth every last red cent spent. :) I don't know about you, but my time nowadays is worth more than $40 an hour.

Gripes are: .380 still gets caught in the 9mm bin as does my .223.

Other than that, it's a wonderful contraption. I no longer have to "pre sort" my brass at the range, and can just grab handfulls at a time of brass and sort it when I get home.

11. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

That owns. Now I will make one. :coold:

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

yeah the shell sorter is pretty awesome. I'm trying to get this new brass picker upper from the cowboys. It's the next big thing...