WEB Sorry...another vbulletin thread...sort of...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YourMomOnRyeBun, Jul 16, 2008.

1. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

I am pretty sure that I want to use vbulletin for my forum. But I would also like to incorporate a blog as well. I like the presentation of:
    http://www.fusionbb.com/

I want the blog to load first with the forum built around the blog...so they appear as one, rather than clicking on a link to the forum as if it were another page. Basically I want them incorporated.

I have looked at vbulletin with the blog add on, but I guess I would like to see some examples beyond what is just on their site.

Finally...the banners/ads that are on OT. Are these easy to add to your pages within vbulletin? Or are these mods/hacks?

2. Cojones

Cojones Guest

Look for portal mod on vbulletin. It's exactly whta it sounds like, displays threads from certain forums (you chose them) to display on the home page, giving it the "blog" feel.

As far as the banners/ads, very simple. Edit the "header" template in admin cp, make sure the file is 0777. Its plain HTML, unless you want rotating banners which is simple php/html.

3. YourMomOnRyeBun

Thank you! That is the info I was looking for. I cautious about buying vbulletin since I can't really "try it out" first. Once I am satisfied that it can do everything I want it to do (and I can figure out how to do it) I don't have a problem putting down the money.

4. Cojones

Cojones Guest

You're welcome. :)

My take is to go forward with it and get vbulletin. There are a lot of well maintained sites which use vBulletin. It's not ALL that hard to implement a custom design with vBulletin either. Quite simple actually, just a matter of knowing CSS and basic XHTML. You can try out vBulletin obviously (many boards have pirated copies of it) and if you get caught just pay the company what it's worth. That's what I did. If you're not pleased, you can easily just disregard the email and shut the project down.

5. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

i just use vbAdvanced to have the homepage of my forum kinda resemble a blog...

6. YourMomOnRyeBun

Purchase vbulletin and now working on the vbadvanced install...it is being a little whore and not working for me... off to www.vbadvanced.com

7. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

I believe they have a blog software that incorporates very well with it.

8. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

i have vbulletin and vbadvanced running on my game site (www.tf2maps.net)
    let me know if you need some help.

9. YourMomOnRyeBun

Your site looks nice and clean. I checked out http://www.extremepixels.com/ they have some nice skins...

10. YourMomOnRyeBun

Thanks. I finally got it to work. One of the files I downloaded was junk and a re-install fixed the problem.