soon to be noob rider

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dumbaznboy, Jun 21, 2009.

1. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

Soon to be new rider here, and I'd like your guys' opnion on a first bike...

83 Honda CB650SC
    81 Honda CM400T
    80 Suzuki GS450L

They are all in fairly good condition, and will be used mainly as a commuter (around town, occasionally a ride from the east bay into SF, and occasoinally a 2 hour ride to whereever)

I figure for my first bike, no need to buy brand new as I will most like drop the bike at somepoint (hopefully while its NOT moving). And I happen to like the older bikes and plan to tinker with them when I move up to a newer/bigger bike in the future.

So, which of the 3 should I go with? I want to be sure that whichever bike i chose, I can make it on the freeway without having to worry if it's got enough umph to pass up a car if need be. (Keep in mind, I like each of these bikes for various reasons, and more importantly they are rideable from the get go. and arent overly expensive)

Thanks

2. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

those are some old bikes, just make sure you safety inspect the hell out of what ever 1 you decide on. that's alot of years for nuts and bolts to rust and give way or loose shit etc etc. just remember when you only have 2 wheels the margin for error is non existent so go over those bikes with a fine tooth comb.

3. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

thanks ap. I plan on taking whichever bike i decide on into a shop and give it a tune up (regardless of what the previous owner says), and ask if they can do an inspection as well.

4. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

Have them do an inspection BEFORE you buy it.

Also, be aware that many shops aren't willing to work on bikes that old.

5. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

totensie, should i ask for the seller to pay for the inspection? or should i front the money?

6. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

You should pay for the inspection.