Sony W810 walkman phone

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lexaaaa143, Jun 8, 2006.

1. lexaaaa143

lexaaaa143 New Member

(I wish i had seen this forum before my topic in ot failed miserably)

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp1_loader&php=PHP1_10376&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10376

I'm thinking about buying this phone "unlocked" (around $400-500)...anyone have experience with it?? Being unlocked..what exactly does this mean? i can sign up for any carrier i want, cingular, att, sprint...? Also i was reading an article on it and it mentioned some shit about copy protection..can i still put any mp3 i DL for free on it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thanks

2. lexaaaa143

lexaaaa143 New Member

One other Q for the experts..how fast does the price of a phone like this drop? So would there be any significant drop (-$150 or more) if i waited till fall? or might as well get it now and enjoy for those extra months?
    i saw it for $280 but that reqs a 2 year contract, and only $120 more for unlocked.

3. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

If you buy an "unlocked" US phone it means it has been programmed to use any US GSM service provider, which are T-Mobile and Cingular. You can't use it on CDMA providers (Verizon and Sprint) because it operates on different bands. The reason the price is so high is because you buy it unlocked, meaning no contract is associated with it. If you bought it with a 2 year contract or something, the price would fall because you are tied to the company for 24 months.

I have no clue about price drops though. Hope this helped.

4. lexaaaa143

lexaaaa143 New Member

Hi thanks, CDMA is more advanced than GSM i'm assuming? because sprint you can watch live tv and other things...w/e it's not a big deal. One small thing...do i need to buy a sim card with this? like a blank one..how does that work?
    i think i'm just gonna get it...don't have an mp3 player so it takes care of 2 needs

http://www.myworldphone.com/w810i.htm p.s. this site legit? i saw it linked here. thanks

5. Stavios

Stavios New Member

great phone, my friend uses it. he loves it

6. lexaaaa143

lexaaaa143 New Member

7. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

I picked up this phone just two days ago in Taiwan.

So far it's really nice, good sound quality with headphones and the call quality seems good. Reception is killer, but I think that is due to Taiwan's great GSM coverage ;) I will find out how it is in the US next Saturday.

Menus are really fast, which used to be a complaint of mine on previous Sony Ericsson phones. I picked it up for ~$500US.