SONY PRS-505 and PDF question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by j828, Apr 3, 2009.

1. j828

j828 New Member

Hey guys, I'm looking to get an e-reader and the Sony looks the like the best priced one to me. All of my books are in pdf format, which Sony handles as opposed to the Kindle. Just wondering how well the pdf's are formatted onto the Sony Reader, if anyone has pictures that'd be wonderful.

2. wiredout46

wiredout46 臭黑鬼 OT Supporter

i know this is over 2 months old but...

i have the 700, the contrast ratio isn't great because of the touch screen, but overall it's a great product.

the 505 is pretty much what the 700 is with more buttons (because of the lack of touch screen), and lack of side lighting. all e-ink displays will do the job just right.

the problem right now is that ebooks don't have a standardized format. so zooms throw everything off.

the kindle will format well because of it uses it's own extension. if you want to put a pdf file you already have onto the kindle, you need to email it to them and pay 10 cents for them to send it to your device, or they'll just email it back to you for free. :ugh:

3. clover

clover Lucky in life

Pdf's are fine on a computer because the screen is fairly big. eReaders however have a smaller screen. Since pdf's can't reformat its text, the words will either be too small to read on the reader or you'll have to scroll left and right a lot. For best performance, you can convert a pdf to a ebook format which can wrap text. This is fairly easily done with programs like calibre

4. wiredout46

wiredout46 臭黑鬼 OT Supporter

pdfs themselves can't reformat the text, but text wrap can be done via the reader application on the ebook readers..

you can reflow the pdf to fill in those "short pages" but sometimes it screws up the spacing here and there.