A&P Sony DSC-F828

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Angry Ed, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Angry Ed

Angry Ed Active Member

So I'm confused, half of what I read about the F828 is good, half is bad. Everything negative I've heard has involved sensor noise because of the high compression of mps on such a small sensor. But since the images are a higher pixel size, would it matter?

I'm thinking of buying a F828 because I like the look and feel of the camera, and I like using memory stick storage with my 2 vaios, but if there really are serious problems, I'll get a Canon or a Nikon.

I used to shoot 35mm on my dad's Nikon SLR, but the constant lens carrying/changing was annoying, so I'm considering the F828 instead.

2. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

I'd buy my F717 again before I buy the 828.

3. Angry Ed

Angry Ed Active Member

Fuck. So how about the D70?

4. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well definitely I don't recommend the 828. I tried it out on a few different occasions. The purple fringe is not all that bad, at least in my case, but the noise is just unacceptable.

Personally I have a D70, for the first 3 weeks or so, I loved my new toy of course. Now, I kinda wish that I am using the Canon system sometimes. Both the Nikon/Canon systems have its pros and cons. D70 is a much better camera compared to the 300D no doubt, but I guess I feel more comfortable dropping 2-5 grand on Canon lens rather than Nikon lens, because Canon has a more complete DSLR line-up. From a full frame sensor 1Ds to the 8.5fps 8mp 1Dmk2, to the cheapest DSLR on the market the 300D, Canon got them all.

On the other hand, Kodak builds a full frame DSLR for both Canon EL and Nikon F mount. Fuji SLR uses Nikon F mount.

Cliff note: D70 is great, a much better camera and much better value than the 828. However if you probably will buy expensive lens to go with the camera, give Canon a serious look before gets tied to the Nikon system.

5. Angry Ed

Angry Ed Active Member

So for 1k out the door with lens, my best bet is still the 828 because I can't afford a real dSLR?

6. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Don't get me wrong... The D70 is every bit a REAL DSLR as it gets. Rightly so that you might want to get a really good lens, or flash for it down the road... This is where it gets tricky, because you have to decide which system you want to go with. Nikon and Canon being the most popular. I am mentioning this because as a Nikon shooter, I honestly think that the higher end DSLRs, Canon > Nikon.

I got the D70 because 1. I am a Nikon fan for years and 2. it is better than the 300D. But for you, you might give 300D a try before you decide.

I won't spend that much money on a DC, I would just go DSLR. I would get perhaps sub $500 DC as a party cam but that's about it.

The only advantage that the 828 has over a true DSLR system is that...

1. it makes little sound during operation (can be a good thing if you dont' want to get noticed)

2. it does take $hitty video.

So, anyways... ditch the 828... at least I would... Then take either 300D or the D70. Remember that when you upgrade the body 2 years down the road, you can use the lens on your next camera if the mount is compatible.

Oh, and I won't recommand the kit lens that comes with the 300D. I had probably get a better lens to go with that.

7. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

I would highly reccomend a Canon EOS-10D, and the 28-135 IS lens.

Other options are the D70, but the 10D is better for a number of reasons... The 300D with the 28-135 IS lens would be good too.

And the canon kit lens isn't worthless... it's a great lens to use at the beach or at a nightclub or some ghetto place you don't have to worry about screwing your lens... besides, its light and unobtrusive.

Go canon for DSLR... much better lineup... "L" series EF lenses, CMOS sensor iso100 and very clean compared to nikon at same isos, can upgrade to full frame canon digital when they drop in price (my plan) and you can get the big white lenses. :coold:

Oh, and the control layout on the 10D > D70/100

8. mojito

mojito New Member

If you didn't plan on keeping it, that's a very assholeish thing to do. As a camera salesman at Fry's, to get a $1k camera returned on you is pretty much the worst thing possible. The seller lost his commission, wasted his time with you, probally had to try and save the sale when you returned it, then had to explain why it was returned. Now the company has to sell it for a loss, the salesman won't get the gross profit he needs to try for promotions etc.

9. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well the Canon 300D kit lens is EF-S mount, so currently 300D is the only SLR that supports. Since 1D mk2 doesn't support EF-S mount, I doubt that EF-S mount will be used for serious application in the near future... But you are right, that kit lens is more or less disposible...

I am not sure if 10D + 28-135 IS lens is still within his budget... Also 28mm (45mm on 300D/10D) is not wide enough I had say... But it depends of course..

I had think that 300D with the new Sigma 18-125mm will be a good alternative to the 828. It won't cost much more over the 828, provides similar range, and although the 18-125 probably won't be a sharp lens... but I think it will still be better than the 828...

p.s. the Sigma 18-125mm is probably not gonna be avaliable for a while.

Or just take the D70 kit lens + Sigma 70-300mm APO. If you really want to upgrade to a better body in the future and decide to go Canon... You won't be tied to too much lens. You can probably get a good deal by selling them seperately or as a kit 2 years later... The Simga lens is really popular...

10. Angry Ed

Angry Ed Active Member

Hmm, ok, obviously a 10D or D70 would be my best option, but neither of these will end up under 1k with a reasonable lens. I guess I should just save some more.

11. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Or, if you can't wait... 300D is not that bad actually

The 300D is about $900 or less, and as for the lens... You can start with the kit lens, or the Sigma 18-50mm DC. The advantage of the Sigma is that it will work with other Canon DSLR as well. You can get them for just about a grand.

As far as telephoto. Sigma 55-200mm DC, which sells as a kit with the Sigma 18-50, maybe you can find a good deal on kit. Which will put you at about $1150-1200.

p.s. For $1200, I had probably take either the Sigma or CAnon 18-50/55mm, and get myself a Sigma 70-300 APO MACRO SUPER II.

If you really can't wait.. Start with the 300D.

12. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

717 > 828 :hs:

With the introduction of sub-$1000 dSLRs, $999 prosumer cameras are worthless now.

13. Ichabod Crane

Ichabod Crane Active Member

828 = :barf:

As many have said, the noise and chromatic aberrations are just terrible.

14. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

15. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

the kit lens on the 300D isn't the best but I've had pretty good results with it. It's a decent starter lens and has given me an opportunity to see what kind of shots I enjoy taking before finding the right lens for my need.

http://jpdean.deviantart.com/gallery Most all the shots in that gallery are with the kit lens. I got a 75-300mm USM IS lens almost 2 months ago but still have the kit lens on 80% of the time.