A&P Sony DCRDVD201 dvdcam

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Razgo, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Razgo

Razgo Guest

hi , has anyone had experience with this cam? http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_23146.html

i was thinking of getting this one for it's convenience as it records straight to 8cm dvd. i know these types of cams are still new on the market and have read that the image quality may not be as good as minidv etc... mainly because of the mpeg compression. however i don't intend to use it for fast moving action and mainly just home doco type movies. the downside ATM is the expensive 8cm dvd disc's. about AU$8.00 single sided and AU$11.00 double sided. but i reckon next year might see these prices plummet as the market becomes more flooded with this type of technology.

i think the fact i can record and finalize on the cam to dvd and it's finished and ready to play back on a dvd player attracts me. it handles RW as well as double sided.

any thoughts on this one? or anyone here have this cam?

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2004
  2. dmora

dmora Guest

horrible idea. get a DV cam, firewire card and some decent capture software.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

disks are really expensive and sony has had production problems with them in the past. People were fighting for them this past spring.

Only can record 30 minutes of footage, pretty crappy to have to switch out a disk in the middle of a performance or something. The stills are a joke, so don't plan on it being a digital camera.

I'd reccomend a Canon Optura instead, like the 30 or 40, or th 400 or 500 if you prefer as small as possible. Much better quality, features and stills. 60-80 minute DV tapes, which are much cheeper. Just need a firewire card and cable. The Optura 40 comes with Pinacle Studio 9, a decent easy to use starter software.

4. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

hitachi has had one of these for years

worthless

5. Razgo

Razgo Guest

thanks for the comments. 20-30 min's is ok for me. i would probably use RW discs and just copy it across to PC to burn onto normal DVD size when i have enough footage. i just found a site i can get -R discs for AU$1.50 each so that's not bad. i guess i am not planning on filming for an hour at a time on anything so size shouldn't matter.

i won't be using it for stills either as i have an analogue camera i happy to use for that. and i don't really want to spend a lot of time and messing around with capture software and editing etc etc...

if you do a 60 min dv tape and then have to render it all on PC and then burn to DVD how long is the entire process?

i was attracted to the idea of just recording straight to DVD on the camera as all i have to do is finalize it onboard and pop it out and play it on a dvd player straight away. or post off to friends etc...

so the downside pointed out so far is only a downside if your into doing lot's of editing and spending time with software and capturing and burning?

6. mojito

mojito New Member

also doesn't work with mac, the disks are healla expensive compared to dv, the disks are not 100% compatible with all dvd players, so you may have to copy it to antohter dvd anyway.

The DV to DVD process isn't that bad, and you'll find that you want to edit it anyway. Add music, delete parts, make menus, stuff like that. I doubt once you start filming that you'll just wanna watch everything that you taped the way that the cam saw it.

Also figure this, the DVD burner in the cam is valued at about 150-200, so you're getting less of a camera that you would in DV for the same price.

7. Razgo

Razgo Guest

some things for me to think about.
    thanks.