A&P Sony Alpha - worth it if you already own Minolta glass?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Aug 25, 2006.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Looking to buy my first DLSR. I own a ton of Film stuff, all of it the Minolta Maxxum Series. &-8 lenses, 3 bodies, flashes, etc...

I know the Sony has a few strikes against it (iso1600 blows, made by Sony), but it does seem to be getting some good reviews, and it would take all of my current glass.

It would be nice to just carry around another body, instead of carrying around another body AND more lenses, and getting confused as to which works with what...

Oh, and I plan on keeping my film stuff, because I do shoot a lot of slide film, and do prefer film to printing for enlargements...

2. Blair

Blair New Member

go play with it at a sony store. you will run away from it after that.

3. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

i played with one in store...felt cheaper than a rebel XT to me

4. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

id say wait until the next body they are announcing..that is jsut the introductory body..what really interests me is how are they going to do their second more profesional body..that should be your target

This is sony after all, whenever they enter a market they stay in there and at the very least make a strong showing. You already have the lenses so its definitly the route for you.

5. mojito

mojito New Member

cool features, poor performance. But it is their 1st cam

6. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I'll go and search on my own, but does anyone know when they'll be coming out with a 2nd camera?

I've just finished enrolling in my schools photography program, and plan on starting this October. Would be nice to get the camera before classes start...

(Classes are free here, and because I already have a Bachelors, I don't have to take the BS classes, which means i'm already a 'junior' towards my photography Bachelors... which is hilarious to me...)

7. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

Honestly if you are going to take classes now, buy the alpha and dont look back, it will still be cheaper than changing to any other system

Question, what lenses do you already own?