A&P sony alpha sounding pretty good

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 00soul, Jun 5, 2006.

1. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

can't wait for reviews for this and the new panasonic.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...e=&ProductSKU=DSLRA100K&TabName=feature&var2=

spacer

Product Description
    Enjoy the all-new Sony® α (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera with an amazing all-around lens to get you started. Included in this kit is the versatile new SAL-1870 lens. This standard lens easily handles the full range of shots you’ll take most often—but there’s nothing “standard” about its advanced optical design. In 35mm equivalent, it covers wide-angle 27mm to 105mm midrange telephoto for snapshots, portraits, interiors and more—an excellent all-around lens to travel with.

The Sony® α (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera is an instant classic: the top-quality 10 MP DSLR system camera that builds on a two-decade legacy of Minolta photographic leadership, accepts 20 years of A-mount lenses sold worldwide—and introduces Sony® imaging innovations like high-sensitivity shooting with Super SteadyShot® in-camera image stabilization, Dynamic Range Optimizer to automatically increase detail in bright and dark picture areas, new Anti-Dust technology to keep the CCD imager clean for better pictures, and Eye-Start® Autofocus system for faster camera response.
    Feature List
    The Rebirth of a Legend.
    In the revolutionary new Sony® α (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera, Sony’s mastery of digital technology combines with Minolta’s legendary SLR technology -- including autofocus and anti-shake compatibility with over 16 million A-mount lenses sold worldwide.

Advanced Lenses and Accessories.
    The Sony® α (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera is your gateway to one of the world’s most sophisticated camera systems, including precision Sony® standard and zoom lenses, Sony® “G” Series lenses with advanced motorized autofocusing, amazingly bright Carl Zeiss® T* coated lenses, professional-quality flash units and more.

10 MP Super HAD™ CCD.
    A large APS-size CCD imager with Sony’s advanced Super HAD™ (Hole Accumulated Diode) design allows more light to pass to each pixel, increasing sensitivity and reducing noise -- and providing greater detail when you make big prints or crop in close on your subject.

Super SteadyShot® Image Stabilization.
    The Sony® α (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera builds image stabilization into the camera body, so all lenses benefit from anti-shake performance. And along with higher ISO sensitivity, Sony’s Super SteadyShot® system minimizes blur from shaky hands so you can take sharp, clear photos with hand-held camera in situations that would normally require a tripod -- and also helps both extended telephoto and macro close-up shooting.

Anti-Dust Technology.
    Changing lenses in a DSLR can allow dust to enter the camera -- so to keep the CCD imager clean for better pictures, the Sony®  (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera utilizes both static-free anti-dust coating on the CCD filter and anti-dust vibration that automatically shakes the CCD to dislodge dust each time the camera is shut off.

Dynamic Range Optimizer.
    To recover details in dark or bright areas of the picture, the Sony® α (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera provides two levels of Dynamic Range Optimization: Normal DRO, to improve shadow detail using standard gamma curves for fast shot-to-shot response time, or Advanced DRO, to adjust dynamic range area-by-area for the greatest precision.

Bionz™ Image Processor.
    At the heart of the Sony® α (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera is the advanced Bionz™ Image Processor, using hardware-based Large Scale Integrated (LSI) circuitry that responds ten times faster than software image processors -- improving camera response time, handling Dynamic Range Optimization processing and extending Stamina® battery life.

Eye-Start® Autofocus System.
    Some DSLR systems don’t start focusing until the shutter button is half-pressed -- but that can slow down camera response. The Sony® α (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera begins its precision autofocus adjustments the moment you bring your eye to the viewfinder, to capture fast-action subjects other cameras might blur.

2.5” 1 Clear Photo LCD Plus™ Screen.
    The Clear Photo LCD Plus™ design of the Sony® α (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera’s built-in screen makes it easy to read camera setup menus even in bright sunlight -- and gives you a better picture when you use your screen to set up shots and check results.

Continuous Burst Mode at 3 Frames Per Second.
    To catch fast action more effectively, the Sony® α (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera offers continuous JPEG image capture up to the limit of your flash memory card -- plus RAW Burst Mode (up to 6 shots) with intelligent buffer management to allow more shots to be captured without waiting for the buffer to clear.

Super-Accurate Exposure Control.
    A 40-segment honeycomb sensing system provides multi-pattern measuring for superior exposure control accuracy.

Flexible Exposure Modes.
    For greater creative freedom in a wide range of shooting conditions, the Sony® α (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera provides full manual exposure control as well as Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Exposure Compensation modes.

9-Point Auto Focus Selection.
    The Sony® α (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera gives you all the focusing options you need for composing your shot with foreground, background or off-center subjects -- including manual focus point selection, Spot AF, Continuous AF and AF Lock.

Lithium Ion Battery with Stamina® Power.
    A supplied NP-FM55H Lithium Ion rechargeable battery lets you take up to 600 shots2
    on a full charge, recharges quickly with supplied battery charger.

Dual Media Options.
    The Sony® α (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera accepts both CompactFlash™ Type I/II media and optional Memory Stick Duo™ media (with supplied adaptor).

SAL1870 DT18-70mm F3.5-5.6 Lens Features:

DT Lens Design:
    A more compact, lightweight lens designed specifically for the APS-size CCD imager used in the Sony® α (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera.

Aspherical Lens Elements:
    To correct visual aberrations at wide-angle setting, enabling a lightweight lens to capture more visually accurate wide-angle shots.

ED (Extra-low Dispersion) Glass:
    To reduce chromatic aberration at telephoto extension, correcting certain wavelengths of light for sharp, clear images with well defined colors.

Circular Aperture:
    Because aperture blades form a near circle at the wide openings used for low-light shots, spot-light sources have a pleasing circular defocused effect.

2. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Honestly, some of the lenses available for it would almost make me consider it over a Canon/Nikon if I were new in the market. The 70-200 2.8 and the Ziess 85mm are really nice chunks of glass.

3. 00soul

damn, i'm glad i copied and pasted..its supposed to come out during one of these J months

4. frozenhubcap

frozenhubcap New Member

Looks promising... It's basically a spuced up 5D, but I think Sony's gonna take off with this one.

5. 00soul

its good as an entry level, but nowhere near a 5d

6. mojito

mojito New Member

I'm waiting to see on this. Sony does a great job of promoting their new shit, but rarely hits the mark. Spending million on R&D to generate a 4th color for their sensor int he 828 was really worth it :greddy:

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

looks very similar to an XT.

8. Jonny Chimpo

He meant the old Minolta 5D, not Canon 5D

9. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I wish Nikon would release in-body VR.

10. mojito

mojito New Member

optical IS > in cam VR

do you really want your sensor moving all the time?

11. 00soul

my bad

12. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Is this based on fact or your opinion?

I don't have a problem with my sensor moving, motors/gears responsible for it will eventually wear out but that's the same with Lens VR. Only body is more replaceable than lenses, and many people replace their body before it becomes "obsolete" for the greatest and latest body anyway.

13. mojito

mojito New Member

optical provides faster and more accurate stabilization as well as more stabilization. Minolta implemented the same system in their high end consumer digi cams and it in no way came close to a lens with stabilization built in.

14. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

considering that body VR was on the old minolta and was tried and test, then yes viper makes a good point, optical VR is indeed better

the system looks interesting, but did anyone check the prices on some of that gear?? 70-200g for @2400 50mm 1.4 for 350 85mm 1.4 for 1300..those are some seriously pricey stuff!

15. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Yeah, disappointing isn't it? I was hoping for Sony to make a huge splash but with that kind of premium on lenses, even if they are Zeiss lenses, I'm not too sure.

16. Drex

Drex New Member

I Think they had potential with this, But really blew it with the prices. From a marketing standpoint, trying to break into a new market by charging more than the two companies that already conrol the market, is well....dumb.

Recently It seems that sony is getting incredibly arrogant, and I truy think it will be their downfall.

17. 00soul

if they last a 3 years in the DSLR biz i'll eat my hat

18. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

This is Sony man..and remember for an entry level camera its acually pretty damn good..its the high end lenses that worry me.

I cant wait till september to see their second camera announced and the replacement for the nikon d70..thats when its gonna get real interesting

19. Jonny Chimpo

You're betting against the company that's been whoring out MD's since what...the bronze age?

I hope you have a damn tastey hat.

20. Jonny Chimpo

Yeah. Right. This is 'breaking into the market' by purchasing an established product line and then UPGRADING it to a much better sensor and offering it at price point that the competition can't meet. How unbelievably arrogant! :ugh2:

:gtfo:

21. 00soul

we'll find out in 3 years :)

main reason for me thinking they won't last is because if well respected companies like KM, contax, sigma can fail in the DSLR body game, it's hard to see a newcomer like sony lasting very long...although, sony does have a much bigger brand recognition, a decent price, and zeiss lenses...

its kind of a toss up on IMO

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  22. Jonny Chimpo

1. Sony has FAR deeper financial pockets than the other three companies you listed COMBINED.
    2. Sony has a very successful consumer camera line
    3. The KM assets that Sony bought are already quite well sorted out so there are no R&D costs.
    4. Sony makes camera components for a number of other manufacturers, this is really only an incremental aquisition.
    5. Sony's product affiliation with Ziess makes the Alpha line even better than it was with KM.
    6. KM's forced exit from the business was due to pressures in other areas of their business as well as a large patent settlement, not because the products sucked.
    7. Sony's market competition is from the likes of Panasonic, Samsung and Pentax. None of these stand a chance against Sony's marketing and distribution strength.
    8. Sony's product competition is more from the 30D and D200 than the D50/D70s and Rebel XT, and the Sony is a strong choice against any of those cameras. Not necessarily better, just a valid option.
    9. The success of the Alpha line actually has a lot more to do with the success of Playstation 3 than it does with the camera itself. (research why, I'm not explaining it here)
    10. I still love my Canons. ;) Sony won't get a lot of converts from Canon/Nikon, but upgraders from the sizable KM market, new DSLR buyers and upgraders from the Sony P&S line will have a VERY nice transition path.

Consider that Sony introduced the Alpha 100 at the same price point they were selling their 'prosumer' digital cameras with fixed Ziess lenses. They've made a good bit of coin on those for years. There is no reason to think that the Alphs will have a short run unless PS3 completely tanks.

23. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

A lot of people busted Sony's chops when they were first entering gaming console business with PS1. Now look where they are in the business. I wouldn't write off Sony so quickly, they have marketing power and resources to muscle competitions around.

24. trevor

trevor There's always a brand new day

I wouldn't write off Sony for most anything. They have enough money to make a dent in any market they want to get into. My biggest problem with Sony is them making everything proprietary to their line. (the Memory Stick comes to mind) That being said, I have had a f717 and I really liked it.

25. Drex

Drex New Member

Umm...look at lens prices again. Yes, they have a good deal on the camera body...whoop-de-fucking-doo. When their equivalent to canon lenses cost twice as much, I wouldn't consider that a good thing.

I can imagine them selling well to hobbyists, but I highly doubt there will be many professionals switching to sony.

It looks to me that they are doing the same thing as what they do in the playstation division. Sell the base unit at cost, and make profit off of games (or lenses in this case) The problem with this is that I doubt many people will be paying for their longer lenses due to the absurd prices.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006