SonicWall TZ170 VPN HELP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chuggs, Nov 30, 2004.

1. chuggs

chuggs Guest

Im trying to setup a client-to-site VPN tunnel for my company. Im fairly new to VPN's as well, but I followed the online PDF right down to the bone. The VPN is setup and too tell u the truth, it actually works on our LAN. I can use the sonicwall VPN client and actually connect to the SonicWALL VPN server.

However, when I remote desktop to my home, and setup the same connection with the same client I cannot connect. I cant even ping the firewall, which I guess is normal. Im trying to connect to the firewall external IP. (WAN). Thats correct right?

I ran the packet trace diag tool as well, but it seems as though my packets arnt even reaching the firewall.

We have an outside cisco router, but it doesnt block any packets at all, so the router isnt the issue.

Im lost, any ideas?!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

where does the trace drop off? Does it get to the cisco router?

The first step is to get traffic to the VPN server before you try to diagnoise VPN problems.

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Iit sounds like the sonicwall server is listening on the internal IP (since you can connect from inside your company network), but not on the outside (you said no packets were getting through from home).

I have never used their products, but there is probably some configuration settings you have to change to allow VPN connetions to come in on the external IP.

4. chuggs

chuggs Guest

well, the access lists are already defined to allow incoming traffic from the WAN. So its open and ready for a connection. Im almost 99% sure the config is already correct.

Jolly: to answer ur question, I dunno if the packets are reaching the cisco router. I wouldnt know how to check or what command to run. Im new to cisco routers.

5. chuggs

chuggs Guest

Heres a shot of the main screen

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Do a tracert from your home machine to the sonicwall and see how far the data gets.

7. chuggs

chuggs Guest

Ive done that, it times out after GRID 4, which is our T1... theres like 12 hops that are timeouts

8. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

You might not want to post that screenshot as it has your activation and registration codes on it. :o

9. chuggs

chuggs Guest

oops, dumbass. Thanks

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if it's not getting through your T1, then something is wrong with a router there. Either on their side, or your side. I would bet that cisco router you mentioned is for your T1 connection? If so, that's likely the cause. check your ACL again.

11. chuggs

chuggs Guest

Your right, our cisco router does provide the T1 connection. It cant be the ACL. Here is a screenshot
    http://personal.cmich.edu/~billi1jm/test1/cisco1.jpg

our network guy who setup up our network and router told me that everything should pass through our router fine, and without problems...