Somewhat disappointed with Apple Customer Service

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by P07r0457, Feb 14, 2005.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, I took the plunge last night and decided to order an iPod. Anyway, it was the 20GB 4th gen model, and it was *supposed* to be $269. I tried ordering online, and the $269 registered properly, but they wanted to charge me sales tax... Well, I live in oregon, so I shouldn't have sales tax to pay. Anyway, I called Apple and I spoke with Shawn and he said he could do the order over the phone. Okay, cool. So he asked what I wanted, I tell him the 20GB iPod, and he then asks if I need anything else on the order, well, no. He asks for my CC# and then says $299 was charged to my account. WTF? No, no, no.... It's $269... He says sorry, I can't un-do the order, it already went through. WTF!?! So I tell him what I want engraved on it, and he says that he can't get it personalized because he already placed the order. So now I'm *PISSED*. He tells me he can't do anything about it, and that it's my fault because I didn't tell him BEFORE I gave him the CC#. Well, I'm in sales, and I know that you do *NOT* charge someone until you tell them the cost, and they AGREE! So I got the customer service phone #, but they're not open at night... So this morning I call them and the lady was nice and she appologized and said she'd credit my account the $30 difference. Okay, that's fair. But then I told her I wanted it personalized, and she said that it was not possible because the package is already boxed up. Shit! So now Apple wants to ship it to me via slow-ass ground shipping, have me ship it back ground shipping (at their expense, at least) and then they can refund my money finally and I can re-place the order and wait another 5+ days to get what I ordered in the first place.

This whole ordeal definitely does not meet my expectations of online/phone shopping. And I am expecially disappointed having seen this from Apple, a company that is *supposed* to have un-paralleled customer service. So I had to deal with a VERY rude Shawn last night, and now a CS rep that is not available at times during the day, and is not even in the United States!!!

I cannot decide if I want to return it and go get a Zen or iRiver, or if I should give Apple a second chance. This is definitely not a good first-experience to be having with Apple, and I do not know that I want to buy a mini/pbook as I had planned.

2. Icedog

Icedog New Member

sorry to hear about such a bad experience. I've never had any such experiences with Apple. I would give apple a second chance and figure you just got some shitty sales reps. I've been pretty happy w/ my ipod and powerbook and haven't looked back. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.

3. Nick X

Nick X Guest

I know I received A+ service when I cancelled my Mac Mini order. Very timely and seamless return of my money.

jollyogre - I'd definitely give them a second chance. I too think you most likely just got a douchebag for a sales rep.

4. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Damn, that is some fucked up shit. I would have asked for that guy's supervisor immediately. I guarantee you that your order would have been straightened out.

5. inamorata

inamorata New Member

i hate apple's customer service

6. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

sounds like you got a new guy :hs: don't let the experience ruin it for you, in my experiences and with most of the people I talk to, Apple does a good job with customer service. I have a friend whose iBook logic board continues to give him problems, and instead of continuing to fix it, they're shipping him a new iBook G4, even though his current iBook is like a 600 MHz G3 :cool: so I know from experience that they can come through

7. elixor

elixor New Member

I've definitely had a bad experience with both customer service and the people at the Genius bar. I took my Powerbook to the Apple store to get it repaired and they told me it would take 3 days. Well, it ended up taking 3 WEEKS, due mostly to the fact that the people at the Genius bar messed up my order. And then customer service wouldn't really help me at all. But I still love Apple.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, I got the un-personalized ipod via UPS today... It's nice and purtty, but I really wish it were personalized. I can't decide if I want to load my music onto it and use it, or send it back for what I originally ordered...

tough call.

9. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

just use it. you'll probably end up getting a case or cover for it and the personalization will be hidden anyhow.

10. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Keep it. If you have problems and they have to replace it, they will give you an all new iPod instead of new internals with the old case.

11. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:eek3: good call there

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they did not credit the difference back, as they were supposed to do. I am also very disappointed in the audio quality and volume of the unit. I have requested a return, but they will not credit me back until AFTER they receive the unit... So I forsee further problems in the future. I will be sending this one back, and will be thinking very hard if it's even worth another try.

the SQ problems seem to be due to the really crappy amp that's built in. I guess having another amp would help, but then I'm spending extra money on that -- and where does it end!?!

13. maczter

what were you using to listen with?

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

on headphones it sounds okay. Not very loud, but it works. On my aux-in in my car, it sounds like crap. I plugged a sony discman in to test, and it sounds okay with that. The apple headphone-out doesn't work well as a line-out, methinks. (it's not an rfmodulator or tape adaptor... its a real aux-in)

15. maczter

try not turning the volume to full volume on the iPod. i've noticed it starts to get a little distorted at max volume. let your car stereo amp do the work.

...and what kind of headphones?

16. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Aux-in from the headphone jack? If so that explains the problem. Run a line from the dock connection for the best in car quality. For the portable listening, it's all about the headphones. The iPod doesn't need the amplification as an old discman because headphones are much better then they used to be. Hell, My B&Os sit at less then 50% volume when my stock Apple earbuds sit at 75% volume for the same actual output. My battery life has improved noticably too.

17. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

That too. If you are in the car running off the headphone jack, never run it at more then 75%. I like to keep it around 60% and turn up the stereo volume. As annoying as that is, that's the price I pay for running through the headset jack.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if I have the ipod output that low then the volume is really low... my discman or headunit do not exhibit these problems.

I have already dropped the package off at fedex... I gave apple a few chances, and they have illustrated that their products are overpriced and their service is overrated.

19. maczter

no offense, but whether you'll admit it (or even realize it) or not i think you half expected to be disappointed going into this.

...especially given that your first posts i recall seeing in the mac shack forum were flat out bashing macs.

20. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

:werd: I really have yet to see a post where he didn't bitch the entire time. Trying to help out members like that get's old after a while.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, sorry that anyone that gives apple a chance and then has a genuinely HORRIBLE experience with them must be wrong :rolleyes: I mean, how could apple be anything but this perfect and lovable teddy bear :rolleyes:

22. maczter

sorry mang, but there are many well-respected audio sites that have given the iPods high marks for sound quality (notice i said quality and not quantity), especially when playing back files that are ripped with Apple Lossless or a high bitrate (192k+) MP3 and when using quality headphones that are suited to the power output of the iPod. For example...

Excerpt from headphone.com's page on recommended portable players:

"[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Apple iPod is great, no doubt, and it sounds good, too; every bit as good as the best sounding portable CD players around these days and better. The iPod has a cheerful sound; in part, characteristic of good MP3 encoding---which seem to take some of the sharpness out of the sometimes-harsh “digital” sound of portable CD player DA converters. But beyond that, the iPod is well spoken for a portable player; articulating the musical intent with a simple clarity remarkable in a mass-market product. Its user interface is simple, its styling is elegant, the only downside is that it may be a bit on the fragile side---don’t get one if you tend to be hard on your equipment. This is certainly the benchmark device in the category, and perfect for those who want a simple, great sounding player for portable listening."

:dunno:

[/font]