Sometimes my computer randomly reboots itself when i plug in my digi cam

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrburner, Jan 6, 2003.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

wtf is up with this?? do i need a new power supply?

my digi cam is usb

my computer has 2 usb ports
    1 usb port is used for my keyboard which has 2 usb ports on the back of it
    the other usb port is used for my ipaq but that is almost always off so that usb is like its not plugged in (is never on when i use the digi cam)

in the back of the keyboard i have my mouse and my printer

when i want to use the digi cam i unplug the printer and plug the digi cam in...randomly the computer will reboot when i turn on the digi cam...sometimes the digi cam works fine and sometimes it makes the computer reboot

i'm positive this is a computer problem and not a digi cam problem because i have hooked it upto other peoples comuters and i have a mac laptop that it hooks upto just fine all the time

the computer is a p3 600mhz 512mb ram running windows xp

any ideas? i figure a new power supply but why would everything work fine without the digi cam plugged in? i have the software/hardware properly installed...but why is it that the keyboard and mouse and printer will all work at once without rebooting the computer while the keyboard and mouse and digi cam won't?

2. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

It's remotely possible you need more power, though highly unlikely. I don't think USB can really draw very much. What's slightly more likely in my mind, is that perhaps there's a bad set of drivers/software that's autorunning when you plug the camera in... Is there anything obvious that automatically runs then?

3. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

but the weird thing is that it has nothing to do with any software that is running that might conflict it...because one day i'll have outlook/aim/mirc/kazaa/msword plus other things open and it'll workk fine and the next day i'll have the same stuff open and it'll reboot...then after the reboot when i have absolutely no software running it still will randomly reboot

i installed the software directly off the cd...i'll check if there is any sort of updated software online...the thing is that the first time i ever plugged it in without the software installed, it restarted...then i installed the software and it seemed to work like a couple times...but on my friends computers and on my mac the software isn't installed and it works fine

it's in windows xp so when i plug it in and it works successfully, it pops up with a box "what would you like to do" and it gives me the option of importing all the files, viewing the files using a few different programs, and doing nothing..i usually choose nothing just because i just cut and paste the files...but once it gets to that step of popping up with that "what woudl you like to do" box, it always works fine without rebooting

when it pops up with the "what would you like to do" box there is also a system tray icon for safely removing the hardware...sometimes i use that and sometimes i just turn off the digi cam to remove it...either way it still randomly reboots, even after i safely remove it, i will try it again and it randomly reboots

i'll probably be completely updating my system soon with a new motherboard/processor/power supply etc. so hopefully that'll clear up my problems...if not i might just try sony tech support

camera is a p51 btw

4. Dommi

Dommi Guest

try changing your usb cable. make sure that the cable is certified by the usblabs and the same or better version of usb. IE 1.0 1.1 or 2.0

5. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i will try that but this is the one that came with the camera and why would it work on other computers just fine?

i did get this camera open box though...maybe i'll bring it back to circut city and tell them about the problem...but if they hook it upto their computer, i doubt they'll find the same problem

6. Dommi

Dommi Guest

is it a mini type a adapter

IE that little plug that looks like a house, is it smaller than normal usb plugs?
    those have always given me trouble
    :mad:

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Hey i have the same problem - I changed my camera from being a camera to a disk drive and BAM - reset the bloody thing (this wasn't random though - this happened consistantly). Went back to their lame ass software (HP 318 for work) and back to the other method and never had any problems since.

8. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

well i think xp recognizes it as a disc drive since its on a memory card...5gen_prelude how did you change it from recognizing it as a disc drive to a digi cam?

but it pops up with what would you like to do and the options are like "slideshow" and things like that so i'm not sure if it is recognized as a disc drive or not...it also comes up with that safely remove hardware icon in the system tray

i'd say its about 50-50 as for restarts and actually working

and its not like the usb that you plug into a printer...it actually looks very similar to a 4 pin firewire on one side and usb that plugs into the computer on the other side

9. Phil02E46

Phil02E46 mystash.org

i had problems like this with one of those memory card readers, from what I found, it seemed to not be supported by XP. It was crashing XP :down: returned it and got one that said it supported XP.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The camera itself had a setting.