Sometimes I really, really, REALLY hate Ford.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Discrepancy, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Discrepancy

Discrepancy Guest

This might be old news but I just saw this line of cars.

http://www.ford.com.au/falcon/mainFlash/

The fact that Ford has a car like this in Australia and we get the Focus and the Taurus is disgusting. What the fuck are they thinking?

2. flyinbrian

flyinbrian New Member

Give it time, GM rebadged the Holden Monaro, ( http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/vehicleentry?vehicleid=12 ), and called it a Pontiac GTO for our driving pleasure.
    With Daimler-Chrysler introducing more and more RWD platform vehicles with decent power, Ford is bound to step into the mix soon.
    At least Ford kept the Mustang while GM did away with it's competitor. (F-body). :(

3. Discrepancy

Discrepancy Guest

Yeah I guess. I just saw those cars and thought they were awesome.

About the GTO, isn't it supposed to get a minor redesign for next years model?

4. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Ford races that mutha, too.

I also love how the aussies rate power in kilowatts..

5. d0nk3y

d0nk3y Guest

ford is still playing with the estimated rwhp of the new Mustang, so just hold out and watch as a gt becomes and ls1 eater, and the lighting becomes king of the trucks.

6. subgraphic

subgraphic OT Supporter

According to the latest car and driver- They will not invest the money to bring that line over due to the money invested (Millions and millions and millions) in the Taurus platform.
    So once again, we get screwed.

7. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

No, the next GTO won't come until the 2007 model year. The current GTO is getting the same drivetrain as the C6 Corvette for 2005.

8. TriShield

It only cost GM approximately $125 million to import their Monaro, and most of it was spent just to see if it was crash and freezing climate worthy, which it is. GM is actively pursuing selling more Holdens here as well as Opels.

Ford's Contour and Focus were imported from Europe during the 90s, and the last Capri was from Australia, I can't imagine it would be a substantial investment to sell the Falcon turbo or V8 here as niche muscle sedan.

If what you say is real, it's a cop out.

9. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Bull. Lightning can't lay a finger on the SRT-10 Ram.

10. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

Not quite. The new GTO has the current LS1 drivetrain that is in the C5 vettes(350hp). The C6 has the new lS2 (basically a re-worked version of the LS1) that is putting out 400hp.

11. Discrepancy

Discrepancy Guest

Damn. :sad2: I like the GTO but it could be "leaner" looking.

12. Discrepancy

Discrepancy Guest

The Mustang is nice. I don't really give a shit about the Lighting.

But the Falcon and the Mustang are totally different things. The Falcon would be like a better looking S60R imo.

13. Discrepancy

Discrepancy Guest

:rant2: :rant2: :rant2: :mad:

14. Discrepancy

Discrepancy Guest

Commodore, Adventra & Calais plz :x: :x: :x: :x: :x:

15. zatar

zatar New Member

Every Time I get in my F150, I really, really, really hate ford. I think the New GTOs are nice looking.

16. d0nk3y

d0nk3y Guest

the new Lightning > srt-10. and i think it would be a good race, i havent got any specs on the new Mustang and what its curb weight is, and all that good stuff, so hp to weight ratio is gonna play a big role in the ls1 fight.

oh yea and PUSH RODS SUCK!!!

17. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

Sorry to break it to you but the SRT-10 is a little faster then the latest lightning (stock for stock). If you don't have any specs on the new Mustang then how the hell do you know if the hp to weight ratio is going to make a difference in the comparision between the the GT's SOHC and the LS1's?

And you're right, pushrods are useless :rolleyes:

18. d0nk3y

d0nk3y Guest

i am saying that they are MAKING the 2005 Ls to beat srt 10 hands down. and if any Lighting owner wants to beat and srt 10 all they have to do it pully, TB, Exhaust, intake, chip, and there you have it and u still spent several thousand less then on and srt-10

and as for mustang vs ls1 fight, the weight will play a big role F-bodys are boats and the new mustang looks to be a boat as well, and if they are gonna make them with "300" rwhp then its gotta matter who is lighter.

19. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

I agree with your first statement regarding the lightning vs. RT-10. However, as far as the second statement goes the new GT will not make 300hp at the wheels. That number is at the flywheel. And besides that point, the LS1 produces more torque at lower rpms (and that's what really counts). Unfortunately for Ford, the ol' F-bodies are most likely still going to be faster then the new stang.

20. TriShield

No! Really?!!

I was talking about the 2005 GTO, not the 2004. It will be sporting the LS2 at 400HP next year.

21. TriShield

Ute SS, Crewman SS, Caprice, and Adventura.

22. Discrepancy

Discrepancy Guest

How do you think the US market would react to the Ute and the Crewman though? We're not really used to that style here.

(But seriously if GM doesn't bring over the Commodore and brings over other Holdens they should be killed.)

23. subgraphic

subgraphic OT Supporter

Yeah- I agree- but here is the story:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=26&article_id=8210

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  24. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

Then don say "current" GTO! Current means 2004, not 2005. You made it sound like the GTO already has the drivetrain that the 05 Vettes will have.

25. TriShield

No, I didn't. Read carefully next time.