GUN Sometimes I Feel Bad

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Dec 6, 2009.

1. One of my buddies and I went with one of his buddies to go buy an AR today. This kid was all excited about getting this RRA rifle. We get to the store, and talk to the idiots at the counter. The rifle is a plain old M4 style, without the grenade launcher mount. I knew the guy was really excited about it, but they had much better rifles at the store, and he could have built an even better one for less money if he wanted to. I really didn't want to rain on his parade, so I tried nudging him towards a better solution, but he had his heart set on this one. I mean, the rifle he bought isn't a bad rifle, but he could have done way better for the money. :hs: At least I talked him into buying a Troy folding rear for $90 vs. the overpriced stuff they had at the store. I would love to have helped him build a rifle, get a lower locally and build it with stuff from the internet and then slap a BCM upper on it.

2. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

don't feel bad. i know people like that who are really good friends. one in particular seems to actually go the complete opposite way when I try and help. Its no use really

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

educate BEFORE going, maybe :dunno:

4. I didn't know we were going until like 15 minutes before, and I'd never met the guy previously. He was so excited, and I didn't want to be an asshole. Truth be told, the RRA is fine for what he intends to do, but it makes me sad that he could have had a better rifle for less money.

5. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

oh fuck, you didn't even know him? fuckem then. its his own choice and nothing you said was going to make a difference. sucks, but thats how it goes.

6. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I guess he isn't a true operator.

7. Really, all internet operator stuff aside, he could have had a better rifle for less money. I just didn't want to shit all over what he was really excited about.

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:werd:

9. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

If he's happy, that's all that matters.

10. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

:werd:

11. He is. That's why I didn't push it.

12. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Thats why there is no reason to stop at one AR :bigthumb:

13. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

I wonder how he would have been treated if it were an excited post on WMD instead :mamoru:

14. LOL. Nobody's worried about hurting someone's feelings on the internet.

15. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

how would you hurt his feelings?

16. In real life?

17. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

eh. maybe in the back of your head? yeah, i'd not call the guy a moron in real life. but i'd call you a faggot jew in real life

18. m0untaind3w

m0untaind3w OT Supporter

M4 style RRA sounds like a perfect first range AR to me :dunno:
    As long as he didn't overpay too bad

19. You are so jealous of me. It's ok, I understand.

20. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

oh you fucking know it

21. Like I said, it's a fine AR. He could have had something even better though for less money. It's not like I'm telling him he needs a Noveske or anything. He could have bought a stripped lower, gotten the rest of the lower parts online, and then slapped a BCM upper on it. In the end it would have cost him less.

22. mstad

mstad New Member

No fit in briefcase no care.

23. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

But the bottom line is not everyone wants to build a rifle. When I bought my first I wanted nothing to do with building something, didnt want to deal with mail ordering stuff and dealing with an FFL transfer or any of that shit and I was perfectly fine with spending a few extra bucks to just get what I wanted and take it home and be done with it.

In the end, better for less is not necessarily that cut and dry. Sure he could pay less, he could get something arguably better. But is it really better for him and is t worth the savings is the real question.

You can make a suggestion, but if someone wants something specific, let it go and be happy for them and the fact there is another AR out in the hands of a responsible owner, with another Fuck You to the Bradys.

24. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

If I was helping someone I'd go with him to the store, buy the lower with them, and order everything else at Bravo Company and slap it together for them if they were not mechanically inclined.

25. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Thats great and all, but some still might not want that. If you offered that to me the first time I bought an AR I would have refused the offer. I wanted a complete rifle, that was done from the factory and had a full lifetime factory warranty.

Some just want different things and are ok with a store bought rifle that is 95% of what could be built.