Something wrong with my Onkyo 602/Athena Mica6 setup?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gavin, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Hi guys, I went out and got myself a refurbished Onkyo602 receiver and Athena Micra6 speakers as recommended by several members here after doing a few searches. My problem is that I have the receiver and speakers setup in my room(not in any configuration, just all on a table) and it just doesn't seem to get very loud. The max volume on the receiver is 99 and I have to turn it up to 65 just to get to a decent listening level. Getting it closer to 80 will give me a lot of noise. All I know is that I have a very old Sony HTiB setup that gets a lot louder than this at half volume.

Is this normal? Is there something wrong with the receiver or is there something I'm supposed to do? This is my first receiver so I'm pretty new to this stuff.

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

There might be a problem with the amplifier of the receiver. One thing you can do is go into the receiver menu and turn up the db gain for each speaker. That should help a little. Realistically the amp should be putting out louder levels than what it currently is. I'd exchange it if possible.

3. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

are you running just the two speakers? Is the receiver in a surround mode, or just stereo?

4. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

I think I figured it out. I didn't run the auto setup with the mic and wasn't using the digital coax from the DVD player. It sounds like it should now.

All I have to do is just figure out why this s-video cable is giving me a black & white picture.

5. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Usually its a bad cable becuase one of the pins is broken. I've had that happen with an S-vid cable before.

6. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Yea, you were right. One of the pins was bent somehow, but I managed to bend it back and got it to work. Thanks. :)