A&P Something that real bothers me.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Girth, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

So a friend of my wife was trying to get pregnant for the longest time. After about a year and thousands of dollars, she was pregnant w/ a set of twins. Well, turns out at 24 weeks one of the twins decided he wanted out and fell into the birth canal. They went to the hospital and had emergency c-section to get both out. one of the twins (the ones that stayed in) died a few days after birth. The second has been in NICU coming on 6 weeks, and has been barely clinging on to life. At times, the doctors have called the parents and told them to come up to the hospital because they didn't know if the baby was going to survive through the night.

I feel bad for them, and I know its a terrible feeling. I had another friend go through the same issues (NICU and a premature baby) last year and I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

Well, a few weeks back they decided to do a photoshoot of the little one in NICU w/ them so they could have some pictures. The dad has a SLR and I've talked camera w/ him before, but he's no pro by any means. I mean, come on... he has a Canon XTi :mamoru: j/k

ANYWAY....

The photographer they hired specializes in kids, newborns, etc. She has a $130 sitting fee, and a $200 travel/location fee. That's not the part that bothers me. The Photog charged them $700 (!) on top of all that for rights to their pictures. Thats just a little absurd IMO.

The only reason it bothers me is that I know she charged that, and all they got is their pictures on a CD... for $700!!! No book, no album, no nothing. Of course, they loooooooove the pictures because they're professionally done, and thats fine. My beef is w/ the photog. It makes me wonder about the 'awkward photoshoot' I had a few weeks back w/ my clients dying mom he wanted pictures of. I felt for her, so I wasn't trying to clean house on them since my mom went through a similar ordeal back in April (brain tumor and surgery/rehab). I just told them pay me what they thought it was worth.

If I was the photographer taking these baby pictures, knowing the pain they're going through, I wouldn't charge anything 1) because I know them, and 2) because I know the emotional stress they're going through. If they wanted to pay me, wonderful. I would probably make an album and sell it to them at what I paid for it or maybe a little more profit, and would give them a slideshow DVD of their pictures at my cost or a bit higher. Not $700!!! thats a bit ridiculous.

Whats OTAPs thoughts on this?

sorry... had to vent. :hs:

2. andymodem

andymodem Ambitious, but rubbish.

If someone took pictures of my baby, and asked for $700 for rights to the pitctures and I was going through that ordeal; I would probably put them in the ICU. :o :mamoru:

3. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I think it's good to be totally honest.

The more average Joes that know that photography is expensive the better. I am sick and tired of getting people asking me to shoot weddings for 3-400 bucks or shoot their kids for 50 bucks. I feel much better about myself and the business as a whole when I turn jobs down as opposed to undercutting the rest of the field. Plus I have plenty of playing jobs that pay going rates to keep me busy.

It sucks that they did not ask you and they paid that much, but if they're happy, that's all that matters.

4. Girth

while I agree w/ you on the whole 'photography is expensive' part, my point is that if someone is in pain, emotionally or physically, I would feel terrible profiting from that... regardless of *how* good or expensive I was.

Normal kids, hellions, yes... pay up sucker. Premature babies that might die tomorrow, my conscious wouldn't allow me to do it. I guess I'm a softy when it comes to emotional draining pain situations. :dunno:

5. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

No, you're right. I too would probably do it privately for free. :hsd:

6. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

My cousin just got engaged, and I asked if she was gonna get engagement pics done now or wait a month or two for some fall-type pics. she said she was gonna wait til october-ish.. then asked me if I'd be willing to do some pics for them. She's my cousin, I know they're on a serious wedding budget, and they're just engagement pics.. I told her if she covered rental costs for a wide-angle lens and gas for me to get there, I wouldn't charge anything. Then she said "good, I think we're going to pay a photographer to have some done, then we'll get you to do some after."

What? First she gave me the impression that they had no budget at all for engagement pics, and was asking me to do them a favor, then she not only tells me that they DO have money for it, but their plan of action doesn't make sense. If you're gonna ask me to do pics for free.. why not have me do them BEFORE hiring someone that will charge them a ton of money? If they like my pics, that's money that they don't need to spend, especially when a pro is gonna charge them whether they like the pics or not.

And she's already tried to get me to agree to photograph the wedding :ugh: because their "budget is so low" :ugh:

That's something that bothers me.

7. Bloke

Bloke Banned

prabably the only ethical thing to do

8. Girth

But thats more of a 'happy' situation. Nobody is dying, laying in the hospital, etc. If they already have a photog and want you do it after... do it, who cares. Make them good and use them in your portfolio. My brother is getting married next year. If he wants me to do his wedding, I'm going to treat him as a client and give him a family discount. He ain't getting shit for free... and if he doesn't like it, I have a few referrals I could give him. :)

9. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

People value services/goods by what they are willing to pay for them. Chances are even if your pictures are better, they'll like the pro's pictures more; unless he completely fucks up.

10. White Stormy

I just don't understand why they'd use me for free AFTER paying for a pro

yeah it wouldn't surprise me

11. Girth

because you're probably not a pro, but you know your photography well enough that they can get another set of pictures in case they hate the paid for ones. :o

12. White Stormy

do people often hire photographers with low expectations? :o

13. Girth

I guess. :dunno:

I've always tried to bring my "A game" when I'm shooting a session. Because when you're good... or good enough in their eyes, you get emails like this.

and believe it or not, I hated EVERY. SINGLE. PICTURE. I took at that wedding... but it doesn't matter what I thought, the email says it all. :o

14. White Stormy

:rofl: nice!

15. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

first, they should not have hired a pro in the first place. They could have easily gotten away with a simple camera for this. I mean they are in a hosptial, with all the crap that hospitals have in the background. Second they have a baby, who is probably wrapped and connected to all kinds of machines keeping it alive. I mean, what kind of photos do they think they are going to receive, really?

As far as charging - I believe that every photog reserves the right to ask whatever fee they believe their services are worth and a person who looks up and actually hires one should do so knowing full well that this person is not emotionally attached to their child and there on business cause someone wants to pay them. No one should expect him/ her to do something at no charge.

And at the same time, every industry should do charity work. I would not charge them. not even for the gas money for travel.

16. Girth

Well put. I agree that a photog should charge what they think their service is worth. That amount of money, taking pictures of normal healthy newborn or kids is fine. I just don't agree chrarging that much of a family in pain, regardless of how good or expensive you think you are!

17. mojito

mojito New Member

think about it from the photographers perspective, and how uncomfortable of a shoot that can be. though that has nothing to do with the pricing, which I would hope they agreed upon before. You'd be surprised how much people pay for photos of kids these days, granted that is a bit different.

just in case, and obviously worst case scenario, look into http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/

18. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

that is a very sad site.

19. Girth

Again, I'm not talking about kid pictures. Normal, regular, hellion kids should pay full price. I would charge full price. I just don't think in this situation its right to charge normal rates considering what the parents are already going through. I'm not saying they shouldn't pay for the photographer, but the photog should have some decency to not charge $700 for just a CD. Sitting fee is fine, so is the location fee.

20. Girth

Can't see the site on my phone, I'll cehck it out when I get home. Looks pretty sad from just the name. :hs:

21. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i was going to post this link too. i was at an ed pierce seminar and he showed a video interview with sandy puc about when she started it. there wasn't a dry eye in the place at the end of the video. :hsd: made me all the more grateful that my 2 kids were both very healthy.

22. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

Damn you mojito :wtc:

23. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

lol, that would piss me off