MMA Something that bothers me with TMA

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by kroneX, Sep 29, 2007.

1. kroneX

kroneX New Member

there has always been something that bothers me about TMA, although not strictly limited to it, and that is these 'grand masters' giving themselves doctorates. Now maybe im just annoyed about this cause im a little bit of a geek, and think the term PHD and prof. should be used in high regard.

Im not saying that these grandmasters shouldnt be held in high regard, but i firmly beleive that the term prof. or doctor or PHD should be strictly used in an academic setting, non of these giving yourself a PHD bullshit, it pisses me off as a geek! and as a science student at uni.

Why do you think these people give themselves PHDs and do you think they deserve them, despite the fact that they hold no significant weighting in academic or martial art structures.

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

lol I made a thread like this just a few weeks ago

I've never heard any of them use "PhD" but I hear professor a lot

3. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

most of those guys are frauds. self promote themselves etc. they arent really tma they are BS.

4. Optamix

Optamix New Member

pisses me off too.

And I hate that even some BJJ school refer to their teachers as professor. I agree, it should be an academic only title.

5. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I went to a class at another school when I was on holidays once was all good until the intructor (whom I had beaten a few days earlier in a karate points tournament :mamoru: ) insisted I call him master I then insisted he refer to me as 'the fonz' then it got a bit awkward. so I got my gear and left.

6. NinjaBread

NinjaBread New Member

Im a doctor in anti grapple