Something Practical... Changing HVAC Fan and Resistor Pack in '00 GA

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by CodeX, Nov 22, 2008.

1. CodeX

CodeX Guest

So my heater died the other day, in upstate new york, 10 degrees Fahrenheit outside... ironically the window motor also failed and the drivers side window got stuck in the down position :squint:... but I forgot to take pictures of that repair

So, since I had to do it I figured I would take some pics and write a quick how-to if you ever find yourself in this situation. The local shop wanted over 120 for the repair, I did it for 17 bucks, the cost of a junkyard blower and resistor pack.

First, it helps to remove the passenger side seat, not necessary, I didn't, but my back wishes I did. If you dont you are going to want to slide it as far back as you can and recline it all the way. Most of this job requires lying on your back with your head in the passenger foot well.

The first thing you need to do is get a 9/16 socket and wrench. There are 2 plastic panels directly underneath the glove box and they need to come off. The one closest to the door comes off easy with 2 screws and you have to pull it out from behind the carpeting. When you get it off a fairly large plastic box will likely fall on you with 2 wire harnesses connected to it, just move that aside, it will be a constant annoyance.

The larger plastic panel on the left (further from the door) is a bit trickier because one of the screws is recessed and so you either need an extension to use a socket wrench or you need a socket driver (like a screwdriver, but for sockets). Once both of those panels are removed you should be able to look straight up and see the three bolts in a triangle pattern that hold the blower up into the vent. I don't have a picture with it in but this is what it looks like after removing the blower:

[​IMG]

The yellow arrows show the positions of the 3 screws that hold it in place, with the closes one just out of frame.

These screws are slightly smaller than the ones that held the plastic covers on, I used a 5.5mm socket for these. Go ahead and twist and contort your body however you need to to remove these screws, I ended up with my lower half outside of the passenger door, with my back and head on the floor.

Once you get all 3 screws out the blower motor assembly will fall right out, disconnect it from its wiring harness and kick it down the road (you should be pretty sore and randomely swearing by now).

Next, refering to the picture above, you have to remove the resistor pack. First disconnect its wiring, then remove the 2 screws indicated by the white arrows. The one further back is a giant pain in the ass as most tools wont fit there, I ended up using my bare fingers to get it out once I was able to loosen it with the wrench at an odd angle, half on it and half off it. I don't recommend using your fingers, mine are cut up now, luckily I was freezing and was too numb to notice.

So now your basically done, take your replacement parts, hook them up to the right wires, and reinstall the screws. Putting the screws back in is as much a pain in the ass as getting them out but you just gotta keep at it till you get them.

Here is a picture of the old resistor pack (right) next to the new one (left, plugged in)

[​IMG]

And this is the blower sitting in the passenger foot well:

[​IMG]

SUCCESS! :cool:
    (it spins fast, really fast, be careful if you test it before installing it)

[​IMG]

2. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Looks easy. The resistor in my GTP was a pain.

3. CodeX

CodeX Guest

The procedure is easy, accessing the screws is not, im still pretty sore

4. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

The accessability IS the pain. It's only a couple screws, but the location (up high, between the blower housing and the firewall) sucks ass.