Something on my computer fried.... just don't know what..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by $entenza, Jul 29, 2004.

1. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

Bangkok, Thailand - Lausanne, Switzerland
    Ok, i was playing around with MSI's Overclocking program this one day... and although i knew it was a source of problems, i thought i'd try it out and see what would happen. Well i overclocked my 2.4C to 2.8 and it worked fine for a couple hours... then the thing started to restart, but temp on the CPU was normal... so it kept restarting and so i put the cpu back down to 2.5.. it was stable.. everything was fine. I finished up for the night and left some music running and went to sleep.. about 5 minutes after that.. the thing just turned off.. like the computer stopped.. not only did it crash.. the fans turned off aswell. Now it doesn't even turn on, it just lies there... inert. immediatly i thought it was the power source. Luckily i had a friend that had an extra power supply, so the next day i switched them to check.. still nothing. I've heard two possibilities.

a.) the Mobo has fried

b.) the CPU has fried

can someone try and clrify which one it possibly is, or even if it's both so i can remedy this asap. the 2.4C shouldn't be too expensive now a days..

P.S would changing a CPU and MOBO require me to re-install windows and format my HD's?

please PM me u comp Guru's.. :big grin:

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Yes. With Windows XP especially.

3. ricehead

ricehead a world in which time is absolute is a world of co

if the cpu fried, you should still get some fan action when you press the power button, sounds like you fried the mobo
    and yes, as slid said, if you change the mobo you have to reinstall - i made that mistake once, it fucking blows

4. drhamr

drhamr New Member

is there a jumper on the motherboard to reset the BIOS to it's defaults? I have a K7NF2 board that if I mess around too much with the BIOS settings (in an attempt to overclock) the machine will chut down and not turn back on until I do the procedure to reset the BIOS to the factory defaults.

5. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

Bangkok, Thailand - Lausanne, Switzerland
    THis sucks dick.

6. Lusankya

Lusankya Just try and eat me, bitch.

Sounds dead. Did you read up on your mobo and what kind of tweaks are generally considered 'safe' to make? Blindly messing with your hardware is not a good thing to do, I know from experience.