MIL Something nice that we do at my unit for retirement ceremonies...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Short Bus, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

As a former base honor guard member I created a unit "drill team." Basically, it's just an informal group of people who have served on the base honor guard at one time or another. During retirement ceremonies, at the retiree's request, we perform a basic three man flag fold.

It's not much, but the response we've received has been overwhelmingly positive. The family and the retiree are always grateful, and it's a lot of fun to do. It's just a little something you can do to show your appreciation for somebody's 20+ years of service.

If you're not on the honor guard, or never have been, and you would like to do something like this... just contact your base honor guard or find a buddy who's done it before. It's not all that difficult to do, and more likely than not, the base honor guard will be more than happy to show you how it's done.

2. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

At Barksdale the base honor guard already does a two man flag fold and will post colors upon request for a retirement. I did a lot of them. I think any flag folding shouldn't have informal anywhere in the description. If you're not cutting the flag and folding briskly you shouldn't be allowed to put on your mickey mouse gloves and put on a show because you're not doing it as the Air Force honor guard intended. They have a video available on the web showing how it is to be done. It's worth a watch. Practice until you can do it without a flag and the narrative that goes with it is permenantly burned into your memory. We practiced until two flag folders doing it back to back to the same narrative end at the same time every time. I can understand wanting to do something the base honor guard isn't. But honestly if they're not, they're being lazy and shouldn't be putting on the uniform.

3. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Did I say informal? We're indistinguishable from the base Honor Guard, aside from the fact that we're in standard service dress. I'm sure an Air Force Honor Guard member can make a perfect case for how base Honor Guard members look like shit and should train harder, just like you might think somebody who isn't on Honor Guard is incapable of folding a flag. But that doesn't mean the base Honor Guard should just give up.

I have no clue where you're trying to go with this post. Are you trying to suggest that I can't fold, or can't teach others to fold a flag in a way that is appropriate for these types of ceremonies? I've spent nearly three years of my career on the base Honor Guard so I like to think that I can put on my "mickey mouse" gloves and do it right.

I think you're operating under the dangerous assumption that all other base Honor Guard members are lazy simply because your situation is different. The base Honor Guard on my base is way undermanned, and way way way overworked. It's impossible to send two, or three people to do a flag fold ceremony when they're already forced to do reduced honors ceremonies for deceased retiree funerals. Have you ever done a five man retiree funeral? I have, and let me tell you... it fucking sucks.

Seriously, ANYBODY can put on a pair of gloves and do a proper three man flag fold. If you can't you really have no place in the military. You don't need to be wearing an Honor Guard uniform to do it right.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  4. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

If the situation at your base/post is different and your Honor Guard isn't busy 100% of the time, then there may be no need for you to do this. Unfortunately, our base Honor Guard simply has no time to spend on things like this anymore. With 12 people to a flight and an average of two funerals a day it's impossible for them to find time to perform at retirement ceremonies.

5. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

You did say informal. Maybe your superintendent needs to find more manning. We worked Honor Guard non stop during our year. Even when one flight was on rotation you had the other two flights covering funerals. There were many times where my shop jumped my case for being gone. I was barely a crew chief for a year while at Honor Guard because we would NOT miss a commitment no matter how big or small. Informal came from you, check the post.

6. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Our unit has one of those also.

But you are voluntold to do it.

7. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I said "informal group of people." I did not say "informal ceremony." In the future I suggest that you read all the words in a sentence instead of just focusing on one.

My superintendent is not involved in the process that determins base Honor Guard manning levels. Are you making another assumption?