SRS Something I've noticed about cliche's...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DiggityDogg, Mar 8, 2007.

1. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

You can't generalize everyone by groups, because there are always people in groups who are different or don't fit the mold. However that doesn't mean there aren't trends.

When I was in school I was never confined to a certain group. I was one of the few that had friends who were popular and friends who were geeks. I had friends who were jocks, and I had friends in the chess club. I had friends who were straight arrow, and I had friends who were hard core partiers. Some weekends I would go party and meet chicks, other weekends I'd play D&D.

Most of the people I knew only hung out with their own crowd. I was never in too deep with any crowd because I was affiliated with so many. Being kind of an outsider with a lot of experience in different crowds, I really notices a lot of good and bad trends between these crowds.

The less popular kids, like the geeks and the goths, they resented the popular crowd and considered most of them to be arrogant pricks. The popular crowd or the jocks would even admit it that they ridiculed and humiliated a lot of people in order to get laughs and be socially superior. I got into a lot of arguments with those guys back in the day because I never did crap like that and I had some friends in those crowds. The people in this crowd had a problem with looking down on people who were less socially powerful.

As I got older though I noticed a lot of bad stuff about the less popular crowd as well. Their biggest problem was similar yet opposite. They had a problem with resentment. Envy. They started rebelling against anything that was socially cool. They started looking down on people who were socially powerful because of their resentment.

I'm not placing blame because kids will be kids, this is merely an observation I made over the years. The popular kids looked down on people and were rude, which may be the source of a lot of that resentment that developed in the less "cool" kids, but that doesn't make them worse. I think after years went by the less popular kids resentment grew to where in the end (I'm now 10 year out of school) they were the ones who harvested the most hate and anger.

I say this because from time to time I run into old friends and I ran into quite a few recently, and my old friends from the less popular crowd have become very unpleasant to be around. They've been griping more, complainig about everyone, dissing on anything "mainstream", searching for ways to degrade it, etc, whereas most of my old friends from the popular crowd are still fun to be around.

Just some observations I made. I'm not saying one is better than another Some people rise above it all, from both groups, but a lot of them fall into these patterns and trends. I dunno, what do you all think?

2. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I think you mean "cliques."

edit - interesting observations.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  3. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

Thanks.

4. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I agree with you 100%. The people who are more socially powerful as children end up being happier, "better" people as adults. I think I've known this for a long time and always distrusted the "cool kids" even though a lot of them were friendly towards me. I knew that they probably stepped on a lot of people to get to where they are.

Its really quite a dilemma, because the people who I still consider the most fun to be around knew how to be complete assholes back in highschool and I personally witnessed them degrade "lesser" people publicly. One part of me wants to be around them because they are fun to be with, but another part of me hates the fact that for humans to become happy, fun, and powerful they have to dominate weaker people. One part of me always wants to see these people degraded so they can feel what they have to done to countless other people.

If/when I have kids, I'm not gonna discourage them from being competetive like my parents did. My parents gave me huge guilt trips over that stuff. I'm gonna try to teach my kids empathy, but if they run into someone who is competing with them for something, I want them to completely dominate.

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

If someone is actually a mature adult, you will probally have a very hard time telling what social group they were in hgihschool.

6. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Either that, or they end up bagging your groceries :ugh:

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I've never seen this personally. Even so, they could be a lot happier with a better social life than a computer programmer who makes 100k and has nobody to go home to.

8. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

I noticed this as well and like yourself I too had a wide varaity of different friends, some closer than other but perhaps from different groups... I think I noticed that anyone in a clique was essentially following the same patterns, and the only difference I found was that people in the socially dominant cliques were more ignorant of their discomfort with themselves, you know, they would but on everyone else, party hard, try to dominate but deep within they had a huge void, a cavern of ignorance towards themselves and the world around them.... the less socially apt crowd well, all they really did was form a clique themselves and do much of the same as the other group, hate and resent, feel they were mot intellectually superior yet in the same way, all they were doing was stuffing "notions" and falacies into a VOID of self, a spiritual void...

Yet there always existed and always will, however few, individuals who have chosen to be aware, of themselves and the world around them, they blossom, they grow and they shine, they experience turmoil like the rest of us, but its in the choices they make in how they deal with them that sets them apart, they're interests are their own, however different however similar... Those are the types of people who have truly enriched my life. That is also the type of person I have striven to be.

9. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

perhaps this programmer enjoys what they do, exhibits creativity in their work flow, and when they go home they go home to themselves, and they are happy to spend time with themselves, exploring their inner dimension, pondering the beauties of the world ;) perhaps they aren't stuck within their homes and have lives... see "notions" nothing is black/white

10. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

I've noticed this in other ways as well. I posted my fiance' singing on a few other websites, and usually people respond pretty well. However there have been some pretty negative comments, and everytime I click on that person's profile it's almost always a teenage girl who is more "alternative" or "goth". Maybe it's nothing but coincidence, but I can't help but think that they see a beautiful girl who also is a talented singer, and due to jealousy or envy they have to insult her to bring her down.

I am not saying other cliques aren't like that as well, or saying one is better than the other. This is something I'm beginning to notice more and more. Growing up I couldn't stand to see my "cool" friends start shit with people for no reason. I've actually got into fights in High School and Jr. High for sticking up for people who got ridiculed or picked on. There is little that ticks me off more than seeing a person do this to another person without provocation. I guess this instilled a idea in my head that the less popular people were innocent and the popular kids were more often the jerks. This may be true at that age, but I think at that age this aggression instills a resentment in a lot of those less popular "in crowd" people, and as a result those people start doing the same thing right back against anything "mainstream" or "in".

My fiance' was never in the popular crowd herself. You couldn't tell by looking at her because she looks like the prototypical popular bleach blond bombshell, but the truth is that she was quiet and shy. She grew up with a very religious family and never really broke out of that shell until she was 18. I think based on her looks and ability a lot of people who are resentful to "in crowd" things are immediately harsh on her. They see someone who looks like they "had it all" and thus they resent it and associate it with things they hate. People who aren't resentful to mainstream things seem to be more likely to judge her fairly.

Or maybe I'm crazy...

11. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I've always believed that you mature with the amount of bullshit you deal with. Not get stuck with, but actually deal with. Highschool is an awkward time, you make the some of the most important decisions of your life when you are least capable of it.