SRS Something I've noticed about a lot of people who go through troubling times in life..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Green Bastard, Sep 13, 2005.

1. The Green Bastard

The Green Bastard Click click click bang

they seem to find solace and help with religion. I'm not bashing any religion...I'd be a fool to. But, myself, I'm an aetheist (sp?) and don't believe in a higher (or lower) power, have never attended church except for Sunday School as a kid. That was when I realized that I had no place in a church, and didn't believe anything the minister was saying.
    But people who lose loved ones, have a relationship in tatters, seem to turn to 'god' and I don't understand this.
    I'm probably in the wrong forum....but it is emotional.
    How can people take faith in a being that hasn't been proven to exist, except for some writings that have been rewritten over and over again for centuries?

:dunno:

2. DesignerAddic71

DesignerAddic71 RIP Luther Vandross 1951-2005

im in for the answer too. i myself have never been religious. i never felt like i belonged there. i dont agree with some of the beliefs and i feel that it would be hypocritical of me to pick and choose which of the beliefs that i follow....

3. beanolo

beanolo It does a body good!!!1

Well I guess in the way you put it, people going through troubling times turn to religion or God because quite frankly they've hit rock bottom, and have noone else to turn to... so its almost like they use religion (to pray to anyone listening) as a last resort.

I see that as a bad reason to turn to religion, as its almost like the friend who never calls you unless they need/want something from you (we all know someone like this I'm sure).

As for me I'm honestly quite lost on what religion I am, I feel I have strong buddhist beliefs, however thats more of a belief than a religion... so I'm kinda stuck in between at the moment myself. :hs:

4. The Green Bastard

...its almost like the friend who never calls you unless they need/want something from you...
    If GOD does exist, people like this would be a total pissoff. Because I know some people that are only my friends when they want something, then snum you the next time they see you. I actually have an older sister like that, too.
    Turning to religion as a last resort is, in my opinion, causing a person to enter a fantasy world, and could create an introvert out of someone. They'll shun the outside world, friends, family, etc, and be considered a recluse, or even an antisocial freak of sorts.

5. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Old war saying:
    There is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole.

I am religious but I find myself during more trying times turing to God more than I do normally. Not to say I don't pray almost daily but during tough times I do it constantly. More along the lines also of asking for guidance or strength as opposed to asking for the problem to get solved.

6. AmCo

AmCo Haters goin' Hate

People like to believe that when they die theres a better place to go. When you have nothing else to rely on, people rely on faith. Why do you think that the majority of the world believes in some type of religion.

7. Achmiel

Achmiel Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshi

Forget that - I found solace within myself.

I am in the process of getting a divorce. I went to Orlando to visit my daughter. I haven't seen my soon-to-be ex-wife in 3 months, and I wasn't sure how I'd feel seeing her again. We hung out and discussed the break up and the future.

On the way back to where I was staying, all the emotions I couldn't get out hit me to the point where I almost had to pull over just to let it all go. It was a rough day. I finally manned up and realized what I am doing was the right thing. I let her (the ex) go on my way back home to Atlanta (sounds wierd, but it worked). I am 100% again and am moving on :)

I'm not a fan of religion, but I did find my spirit and solace again - it was inside me the whole time...

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Atheism destroys itself so to speak, mainly because its just 'not' how it works in life. Brotherly love is preached by Jesus , even in the modern selfish society of nowadays we see the 'no one gives a fuck' attitude.Its destroying the world we live in. If you 'care' something will be preserved, if you 'don't care' something gets destroyed.

Our selfishness and hatred destroys everything, our world is the sum total of our individual expressions of free will. So far the world is a very dark place full of conflict and hatred. People damage eachother because they don't love eachother. When people get 'fed' up by that lifestyle ,they have the ability to volentarily choose for God which calls to people and is love.

Now of course there are wolves in sheep's clothes, but the warm enviroment of love,and people who really care for you is preferred ,the benefit is that you can come and leave as you please, God will always love you,and in the example of Jesus love towards others we try to make the world a better place. You simply 'wont' find that in atheism , but atheism is valid because it wants proof for everything, it doesn't automatically accept things to be 'true'. I've been an atheist ,

but at a certain point in my life i had spiritual encounters with people made from light who appeared at me which forced me to accept that there is 'more' , they showed me that there is a 'love' which exceeds perfection and light brighter then looking straight in the sun 1000 times magnified ,which each person potentially can posses and emit and at its core this love bonds everything in the universe.

9. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Whenever I've been depressed, I've bailed on religion because I felt that it bailed on me. So basically I think that when people are going through tough times and they are backed up against a wall, what they do is try something different with their lives because what they had been doing was not working. If you are a believer, you stop believing. If you are a non believer, you start believing.

It doesn't apply just to religion either. You might start dating people who are not the type that you normally date, you could change your style of dress, you could buy a new car, etc. It's all to do with change. People seek change in order to improve themselves.

10. The Green Bastard

I 'bailed on religion' so to speak when my grandfather died in 1981. I was mad, because we were close, and if there was a god, he'd have saved him.
    But ever since, the more I look at it, the more I see the scientific approach to humanity, not the theological, such as the Big Bang and evolution, not this GOD CREATED EARTH IN 7 DAYS bs.

11. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Religion should be never shovled down your throat , God is something that you have to choose for volentarily, being baptized after you are just born is wrong, Jesus never forced someone to believe. And adult people got baptized in the bible by John. You see , free will is holy amongst Christians, but families often force their children into beliefs in order to blend into society as being a 'good' religious family only to look great and happy in other

people's 'views'. Its something like an arranged marriage with God against your will , its just not possible and wrong for various of reasons,of which one is that you should never be forced to do things that you do not desire. Yes there is a lot of 'fake' going on in Christianity. But then again the morals of nowadays society are as much near zero to non existent. It all gives a bad

after taste and draws away from the essence, namely to love and help eachother. To care, and to support other people in their choises ,and to point out the possible dangers that come from it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2005
  12. The Green Bastard

I know there's life on other planets. The chemical mixture and right situations that created life on our planet cannot be unique, considering the millions of planets that are similar to Earth out there.

13. Toasty

AAAH, but that's still....faith. :) Faith that there's that possibility that it can happen again if it happened here.

I agree with you though.

14. The Green Bastard

Faith in something scientific....not faith that a nonexistent being will pop in and say "Hey, want some chicken fingers?"

15. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

16. The Green Bastard

A book that uses christianity as opposed to science...no thanks.

Although the book I'm reading now -- For Love of Evil, by Piers Anthony, and followed with And Eternity (about god). Fictional work, but entertaining.

17. MikeYOX

MikeYOX May 2000 account: DELETED :(

Prayer is the last deseprate action of a person in need.

When the human mind can't use that which is tangible and accessible to change things to the way they want, they pray to a higher power, even if it doesn't make sense.

I knew a certain believer who used to ask God to bring his girlfriend back to him. When I informed him that God does not interfere with the free will of mankind, and will not simply reprogram his ex to fall back in love with him, he took an attitude with him.

Atheism is not all the evil that people make it out to be. Being an atheist does not make you a cold alien unable to care about another human being. Atheists come in all types, and many simply believe that with all of the religions out there, they can't all be right. Simply disbelieving in a deity, does not an uncaring individual make.

But, anyway, that is a completely different discussion.

But there are also those who turn to prayer because it is simply another step in their lives to take when they have trouble. Lots of people do frequently turn to God int heir daily lives for manyt hings, not just the desperate situations, but also the pleasant ones.

Then of course, there are those who simply lash onto the idea of God because it is a figurehead. It's something to inspire them, something good that they can use as a guiding light to see themselves through the clouds of confusion and sorrow of their daily lives.

18. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

When I am down and when I am up I thank 'god' but not Jesus' dad, just the higher power that I believe in.

I am not religious but I do believe that someone is looking after us all.

19. Toasty

Nuh uh...science is based on faith more then you can imagine. It's based somewhat on observation and comparisons.... but everything from our evolutionary history to determining what's up in other galaxies is entirely faith.

Now is the faith that somehow a big explosion in space that triggers a universe, more plausible then Colonel Sanders as God? I'd say the jury is still out for me....

EDIT: bad spelling

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  20. Toasty

What's with DE changing my post? :nono:

21. The Green Bastard

What's up with that?!

22. scaryice

scaryice New Member

If everyone was atheist, then our society would be better off, because people would care more about the life they have. Advances would be made quicker, and there would be less hate.

23. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I look at Biblical creation as being metaphorical. Whether it was God or science isn't going to make one bit of difference in my life. I don't really care. I don't have a need to know the actual truth because it doesn't change a thing.

But some people actually have a need to know something and can't stand anything that doesn't make logical sense. I'm a believer because that is the essense of who I am. I'm a positive thinker, a dreamer, and an optimist.

24. okita1

okita1 Great spirits have always encountered violent oppo

religion, like drugs can be a crutch, a safety net, something that makes them feel like everything will be ok, and that were not really alone in all this.
    there is a reason that religion is called the opiate of the masses

25. People are baptized as babies because, as it is written in the bible and believed by the catholic church, there is such thing as original sin. Because of what happened with Adam and Eve (im sure you know the story) humans are BORN with sin. Baptizing a child is not forcing the religion on them. Im pretty sure they can still pick what religion they choose to follow or even if they want to follow a religion when they are old enough to research it themselves.