MIL Something I received in my e-mail

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TRN, Dec 25, 2005.

1. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I sat in my seat of the Boeing 767 waiting for everyone to hurry and stow their carry-ons and grab a seat so we could start what I was sure to be a long, uneventful flight home.

With the huge capacity and slow moving people taking their time to stuff luggage far too big for the overhead and never paying much attention to holding up the growing line behind them, I simply shook my head knowing that this flight was not starting out very well. I was anxious to get home to see my loved ones so I was focused on my issues and just felt like standing up and yelling for some of these clowns to get their act together.

I knew I couldn't say a word so I just thumbed thru the "Sky Mall" magazine from the seat pocket in front of me.

You know it's really getting rough when you resort to the over priced, useless sky mall crap to break the monotony.

With everyone finally seated, we just sat there with the cabin door open and no one in any hurry to get us going although we were well past the scheduled take off time.

No wonder the airline industry is in trouble I told myself.

Just then, the attendant came on the intercom to inform us all that we were being delayed.

The entire plane let out a collective groan.

She resumed speaking to say "We are holding the aircraft for some very special people who are on their way to the plane and the delay shouldn't be more than 5 minutes

The word came after waiting six times as long as we were promised that I was finally going to be on my way home.

Why the hoopla over "these" folks?

I was expecting some celebrity or sport figure to be the reason for the hold up .

Just get their butts in a seat and let's hit the gas I thought.

The attendant came back on the speaker to announce in a loud and excited voice that we were being joined by several U.S. ! Marines returning home from Iraq !!!

Just as they walked on board, the entire plane erupted into applause.

The men were a bit taken by surprise by the 340 people cheering for them as they searched for their seats

They were having their hands shook and touched by almost everyone who was within an arm's distance of them as they passed down the aisle. One elderly woman kissed the hand of one of the Marines as he passed by her.

The applause, whistles and cheering didn't stop for a long time.

When we were finally airborne, I was not the only civilian checking his conscience as to the delays in "me" getting home, finding my easy chair, a cold beverage and the remote in my hand.

These men had done for all of us and I had been complaining silently about "me" and "my" issues I took for granted the everyday freedoms I enjoy and the conveniences of the American way of life.

I took for granted that others had paid the price for my ability to moan and complain about a few minutes delay to "me" while those Heroes were going home to their loved ones.

I attempted to get my selfish outlook back in order and minutes before we landed, I suggested to the attendant that she announce over the speaker a request for everyone to remain in their seats until our heroes were allowed to gather their things and be first off the plane.

The cheers and applause continued until the last Marine stepped off and we all rose to go about our too often taken for granted everyday freedoms.

I felt proud of them!

I felt it an honor and a privilege to be among the first to welcome them home and say "Thank You for a job well done."

I vowed that I will never forget that flight nor the lesson learned. I can't say it enough, THANK YOU to those Veterans and active servicemen and women who may read this and a prayer for those who cannot because they are no longer with us.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

WELCOME HOME! AND THANKS FOR A JOB WELL DONE!!!!!

2. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

:gtfo:

3. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

long read, but good i guess.

4. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

shit some of you guys must read slow. good post. takes maybe 30seconds to run through it.

5. Capitals

Capitals Guest

good post. it's happened to me before minus the iraq part. flight attendant announced they had 2 marines aboard (me and my buddy). was kinda cool. i was expecting free 1st class. :rofl:

6. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

i tend to keep being in the military to myself unless asked about it :dunno:

7. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

8. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

9. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

I thought so but the sentiment behind it is awesome. You do have to admit it has the email chain letter feel. Still a good read.

10. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

11. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

That's gotta be a very tough job. I stopped reading after the first paragraph. I'll finish it in a few days. :hs:

12. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

I wasnt prepared for that one, that was just... I cant put it into words. Has anyone here had to knock on a door ? I mean how do you do it, how do you maintain your bearing and not give in to the tears that have to be welling up in your eyes? How do you cope with it?

The thing that hit me the hardest when reading that was that any officer can be called on to do it at anytime, I dont know if I could do that, if I could be strong enough to have to tell these people that the person they loved so much is gone. Any of the Os or SNCOs or NCOs or ANYBODY got any words on that? My Officer mentors tell me NOT wanting to have to do that is what drives them to bring all of their men and women back, but what happens when something happens that you cant control and you are faced with it. I mean you cant run away from it bc not only is it your duty but you also owe it to the family, geez why am I even thinking about this so much? I havent even hit OCS yet, but if it worries me this much now, how is it gonna be when I really can be called on for that duty?

13. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Sad stuff, but it must be done, and the battle continues on.

14. spyder007

If you do read the article, make sure to also do the slide show presentation :hs:

15. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

I went through all of em(it was 6 or so small audio presentations making up one large one) along with a few seperate pics per. I wouldnt reccomend tryin to tackle it all at once tho :hs:

16. Accord

Accord New Member

17. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm going to be the biggest motard in the world :bowdown:.

18. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

you say that now...

19. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

accord dude, it really is starting to get old. i think you should ban yourself until 2 weeks before you ship.

20. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

i read the same email but it said rangers not marines :dunno:

21. Crackaboy

Crackaboy New Member

:wtc: I read that whole thing... I cant imagine having his job :hs:

He seems to be a very caring guy though. He does everything with the utmost compassion and respect for the familys :hsd:

22. Accord

Accord New Member

:hsugh: :dunno:

23. Accord

Accord New Member

:hs:

I can't ban myself because I rely on the fitness&nutrition forum too much, but I promise to keep my moto poolee comments to a minimum :x:

24. spyder007

We should get him banned from the barracks :eek5:

25. Accord

Accord New Member

:squint: :o