Something I realized... (WRC on Speedvision)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Guido The Penguin, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

Petter Solberg has WAY too much info in his pace notes!

After watching 4 1/2 hours of the WRC on Speedvision (of which I taped all 4 1/2 hours) I have a new found appreciation for Phil Mills, his co-driver.

They seem to have every thing possible in the pace notes about the turns. Riding along in the car, it got hard to keep up with what the turn was going to be while Phil was filling in every detail of the turn.

Sometimes it seemed a simple '4 right' or '2 left' would suffice. But NO, they had to use 'oblong' and other geometrical discriptions.

He and Colin McRae use the same pace note system, which describes the turn in what gear you can take them in. As in a '6 right' is a right turn that can be taken flat out in 6th gear and a '1 left' is a sharp left turn that has to be taken in 1st gear.

But if you listen to Nicky Grist, Colin's co-driver, their pacenote system is much more simpler. Its usually not much more than a simple '6 left opens, 4 right minus'

Oh, and did anyone else watch all of the coverage on Speedvision?

And they're gonna do that for every rally :big grin:

I love Speedvision/Speed Channel.

2. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

More details = better prepared for the turns =)

You should see some of the notes I do when walking courses for autocrosses or doing a test lap for road racing. Of course, if I just take along the video camera and walk the courses, it's even more insance :big grin:

3. Guido The Penguin

But what I found funny was how many times he was asking Phil to repeat a turn. After he had the one bad spin that took off the front of the car, he admitted "I had too much in my pace notes and couldn't process it all"

Yeah, I make notes when I autocross, but nothing on the level of WRC pace notes. We're given course maps and I just scribble notes at all the key turns then tape it to my steering wheel.

4. Guido The Penguin

Yeah, I got it on tape last night, along with the 4 1/2 hours from Monte. I liked the insight about the snow tires and they're the two types.

I've now learned the proper way to pronounce Tina Thorner's name. I always thought it was 'thorn-er' but its 'turner'

I'm telling you guys, its only a matter of time till Petter wins the championship!! :bigthumb:

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

OMFG!! Why in the HELL did they get that grating, loud mouth, dip shit, NASCRAP, miss-pronouncing, fuck face, Ralph Shaheen to do the comentating on Rally XS?!!

WTF?! I sent a nice letter to Speedvision about it, expressing my disgust.

I mean, first he butched Citroen's name its "Sit-ro-in" Not "Sit-roone". And we cant forget "Carlas Sanze", and SO many other butchersings its not even funny, and far to frequent to list.
    I swear if that guy is on tnights Sweeden coverage, im gonna go insane. The fag should be lift to NASCRAP and tractor pulls. Fucking redneck.

Anyway...Tina Thorner, its not really "turner" as much as it is "Torner". Its not english, so you pronounce the T, and then "horn" is the next part, and the "h" is practicly silent, and ofcourse "er" Thoener. Just a differnt verbal progression then english. You will find alot of Skandanavian names like that.

6. Guido The Penguin

Well, it seems by the Sweden wrap up show, he had toned down just a bit. I'd still rather have the guy from the Monte Carlo shows doing it, but I guess I can suffice.

I dont know if it was him, or the people doing the show, but he missed a couple of bits during some of the in-car segments, saying it was one driver, when it was another. Like for instance, Juha Kankkunen does not get his pace notes in Belgium, Freddy Loix does, and Manfred Heimer (Schwartz's co-driver) does not speak that clearly of English, it was Juha Repo, Kankkunen's co-driver.

Speed Channel is undoubtly trying to draw some of the NASCAR crowd over to watching the WRC, and they see Ralph as a part of that, the NASCAR fans know his voice and it doesn't seem as odd.

Course guys, if more fans come over to watch it, that means it will stay on. So I guess I'm kinda willing to forgo complaining about it if it means keeping it on the air like it is now.

There's two rounds I'm waiting on, Finland and New Zealand. The in car cameras from those two rounds will be absolutley astounding I bet.

I wonder if Speed Channel has any openings to work on their WRC programming staff. I've become pretty much a walking library of modern World Rallying.

COME ON GUYS, HIRE ME!!!

7. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I dunno man, i may have you beat on that one...
    I run a very large thread over in the rally forum on www.hpiracing.com
    The Ins and Out of Full Scale Rallying (full scale as the site is 90% devoted to R/C).

Its preaty comprehensive to say the least. There where far more then 8 threads originally. There where over 18 on the old forum there. But unfortunatly their old provider dumpped their website for excesive bandwidth usage, and did so without tellign them about it, and legal action insued, etc. etc...
    Anyway, check out the thread there, feel free to join up and even give your own personal oppinion if you want. We try to keep teh thread as open as possible on all levels of rallying an motorsport in general. And try to answer questions as quickly as possible.
    For the most part now, alot fo teh regulars know enough information to keep the thread going itself, and answer general noob qurestions. So i just keep the peace 90% of the time.

I only know of a few other people with knowledge of rallying as deep as mine, and they are up to their eyeballs in rallying over on specialstage.com
    Me though....im just a fanatic.